Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    My weekend's " Holy **** " moment!!
    I have heard of people saying it happened, but never in my life figured it would be me....

Had a parking brake cable snap this weekend at the ramp - luckily I wasn't quite out of the truck yet and was able to slam the brakes on!!!

I am buying wheel chocks this week and am going to use them religiously!!!

2. Collapse Details

DAMN! Glad to hear nothing bad happened.

3. Collapse Details

Mine broke the other day too. Luckily the parking pin held it.

4. Collapse Details

That's not a good feeling! Manual or Automatic?

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MattBMiller View Post
    Mines a manual - and for a brief moment I really had wished it was an Automatic!

6. Collapse Details

wow! Glad everything was ok!

7. Collapse Details

In Fond Remembrance. StraightJacket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Seafordguy View Post
    I have heard of people saying it happened, but never in my life figured it would be me....

Had a parking brake cable snap this weekend at the ramp - luckily I wasn't quite out of the truck yet and was able to slam the brakes on!!!

I am buying wheel chocks this week and am going to use them religiously!!!
    Line lock , like we use on the drag cars works as a good safety 2. Just install it on the line feeding the rear brakes. Toggle switch on the dash and your in businesss

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by StraightJacket View Post
    Line lock , like we use on the drag cars works as a good safety 2. Just install it on the line feeding the rear brakes. Toggle switch on the dash and your in businesss
    Interesting....

Never would have thought of that...

9. Collapse Details

My sister was at the atm machine last week, she is short, stood on break peddle to reach the machine... blew a brake line, pedal goes to the floor.... has she been driving... OUCH!
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

10. Collapse Details

Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    My sister was at the atm machine last week, she is short, stood on break peddle to reach the machine... blew a brake line, pedal goes to the floor.... has she been driving... OUCH!
    That happened to me while I was sitting at a traffic light a couple of years ago, and no, I wasn't standing on the pedal.

11. Collapse Details

Did this on my old truck that I converted from drums to discs on the rear axle, specifically for using it as a parking break at the boat ramp. The disc calipers with the parking brake lever were outrageously expensive, the line lock was the easy fix

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by RichL View Post
    That happened to me while I was sitting at a traffic light a couple of years ago, and no, I wasn't standing on the pedal.
    Happened to me a couple months ago too, slammed on the brakes for a quick red light and blew out the rusted out line going to the rears. Managed to make it to the gas station, fill up with brake fluid, stop and check it again halfway to work, and finally made it to the shop to have them fix it (400 miles away from home in February, had to pay somebody else that time).

13. Collapse Details

Fond du Lac, WI Cheeseheads & Kiekhaefer Scarab KV Miami Vice LTD Formally Snap-On Tools Canada
    Good idea. I knew there was a reason I never threw it away

14. Collapse Details

Jesus - the dealership called and wants 675 dollars to fix it. What a bunch of crooks. Then to "earn my business" they offered to screw me less by knocking their labor rate charge down to get the total to 600.

Told them to give me the parts and I'd do it myself, despite the fact they are going to charge me $99.00 for a diagnosis fee. I knew there was a reason I had never taken a car in for anything.....

15. Collapse Details

Appleton, Wisconsin. Where we have 2 seasons... winter and road construction
    So, do you mash the brakes, then hit the switch?
    ________

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MattBMiller View Post
    Mine's an automatic thankfully. I have an old linelock laying the garage. I think I might just put it on.

17. Collapse Details

I had the "exact" same thing happen to me last year right down to the ATM machine. I guess brake line was a little worn already and the extra pressure I put on it was all it took. Kinda freaked me out.

Turned out to be an easy fix. It was a rear line that went across my back axle. $70 and about 15 minutes of work. All was good.

Buck
    A thong is like a barbed wire fence, it protects the property but doesn't ruin the scenery.

18. Collapse Details

That happened to me in my last truck.
    I was just leaving work, still in the parking space and stood on the brake pedal while I was trying to get my smokes out of my front pocket. Pedal went to florr and wouldn't pump back up. I was spraying brake fluid out the rear left wheel well.

Quote Originally Posted by Seafordguy View Post
    Jesus - the dealership called and wants 675 dollars to fix it. What a bunch of crooks. Then to "earn my business" they offered to screw me less by knocking their labor rate charge down to get the total to 600.

Told them to give me the parts and I'd do it myself, despite the fact they are going to charge me $99.00 for a diagnosis fee. I knew there was a reason I had never taken a car in for anything.....
    Dealership????
    I took my truck to a local shop and including the tow it was under $200. And ready later the same day.
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

19. Collapse Details

I had an old toyota pickup that I had a brake line rust through and bust. I was coming to a stop at a light. the pedal went to the floor but it still stopped because of the seperate circuit for the front wheels. Scared the chit out of me though. It cost me about 6 bucks to fix and an hour maybe.

20. Collapse Details

In Fond Remembrance. StraightJacket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    So, do you mash the brakes, then hit the switch?
    Yes , the same way you would when on the line at the track only a toggle switch not a momentary switch. Just apply the brakes, flip the switch and your all good . Make sure they switch is wired to a constant positive lead other wise if you shut off the key it will de-energize and release the brakes.