1. Collapse Details
    Ride with Top Banana
    Thank you to Charlie McCarthy for coming with us on the Avanti to the FPC/Ft. Myers Poker Run. (Sorry about the bumpy ride and loosing your hat Charlie)
    Charlie's original Banana race hull design.. now it's the Avanti, (and I got the last one. ) held her own in some "serious" washing machine chit and rough seas. A true rough water hull. It was great to hear old race stories, and it was a pleasure spending some time with one of the "great" boat designer and racer. It was the first time I ever site down in the back on my own boat, while Charlie took the helm for a while.
    We all had a great time, awsome vids, and meeting great boat people.

Thanks again.

Peter
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tob Banana in middle.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	22985

Name:	FT. Run 1.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	22986

Name:	CM 1.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	22987

TY.. Naples Images for the pics.
    Life is: what happens... when you plan something else.

2. Collapse Details

I met Charlie several years ago at a race. He was set up at the AMF pits. He was there with another legend, Ken Warby.

3. Collapse Details

That Bob guy will do anything 2 get his mug shown!!!!!!

4. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Finally Peter......Been waiting since Key West. (You still need to put on some pounds).

Did Charlie catch some serious air and make you wonder if it was such a good idea?????

And nice shots by Jay, hope he posts more.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

5. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrinkleface View Post
    That Bob guy will do anything 2 get his mug shown!!!!!!
    At least this time he didn't have to go all the way to Cancun....

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Finally Peter......Been waiting since Key West. (You still need to put on some pounds).

Did Charlie catch some serious air and make you wonder if it was such a good idea?????
    And nice shots by Jay, hope he posts more.
    Thanks Rat... But yessss.. it was a good idea. Some of the "bumps" we could have done with out.. I need a hot jacuzzy sesion..

Charlie, Bob and I had lunch, great stories, and Charlie sais "Pete did a great job ..... but, he's running the 33' like if it was a 38'.... No sustitude for length. etc. etc. So I say.. there are stretch limo's,,, strech planes..
    Let's stretch the Avanti..

Gaining the weight is a slow process..
    Life is: what happens... when you plan something else.

7. Collapse Details

thats simple, first you need a roller bunk trailer, tie the stern cleats to a telephone pole, the bow eye to the back of the truck, lock it in 4 low and punch it, just have somebody watching so you know when the desired stretch has been reached...
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    thats simple, first you need a roller bunk trailer, tie the stern cleats to a telephone pole, the bow eye to the back of the truck, lock it in 4 low and punch it, just have somebody watching so you know when the desired stretch has been reached...
    Now that's funny:smilielol5:

9. Collapse Details

Icon/Founding Member Top Banana's Avatar
    Rhode Island - Summers / Florida - Winters
    Thank you to Peter for his kind invitation to come along for a ride in my old hull design.

For those who don't know, this design started out by me contracting JC Simon to design a new Open Class race boat for me in 1978. I wanted a newer version of Beep Beep, which won US1 for the previous two years. JC Simon started out by narrowing the entry of the boat so it wouldn't jump as high when racing into head seas.

Then he took a 38 foot length over the standard 24 degree bottom and put a 5 inch chine supported by a 4 inch center strake and finally a 3 inch bottom strake. Most important....for production sales, was the fact that the last 4 feet of the boat was perfectly straight....what this meant was I could build 34 foot boats out of the same mold just by blocking the last 4 feet.

The boat began as a Banana Boat 38 and I built some 34's also.....but I marketed them as 33 footers's as we were looking to race them in the Production classes and 34's seemed too big at that time. JCSimon had been copying the deck designs of Paolo Caliari with Beep Beep. It was kind of a slanted upward design. When I first began rigging out the boat, Don Aronow told me to cut that slant off and make it a flat deck....Don said the slant acted like a spoiler and pushed the boat deeper into the water, rather than lifting it out....so I cut it off and made it flat. Don gave me a pair of Cigarette engine hatches to use instae of the JC Simon type to get more air to the engines.

We went out and won the first race, leading from start to finish.......orders started coming in for the new boat design.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Banana0020.jpg   Banana0022.jpg   bushmills0015.jpg  

Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

10. Collapse Details

Naturally when things start to take off, everybody wants in......JC Simon wanted to start selling the boats as Coyotes too.

So we began selling both brands of boats from the same molds....sometimes they had both brands on them, adding to the confusion.

For those drivers who didn't mind, we left the raised deck. The Europeans liked the look so when Dry Martini was made, they got the full slant.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails coyote dry martini0002.jpg   HORBA web0049.jpg   HORBA web0027.jpg  

Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

11. Collapse Details

So that went on for awhile and then the molds were sold to Sonic and if you look close at the 42 foot Sonic boat, you can see my old 38 footer under their 42 with the swim platform.

Peter's boat ...the Avanti, came from the same molds as the shorter version. Once again, you can see the lines of the hull when you compare both boats.

Yes, that first race boat is, Power Play. Not the Power Play boat company...Confused yet??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coyote design0001.jpg   3376472214_98ba6d07f9_o.jpg   Horba book0034.jpg  

12. Collapse Details

This was my first ever Poker Run.

Didn't know what to expect, but was pleasantly surprised that the people I met, all shared a great love of high performance boats. Big or small, everyone all loved the same thing.

Stu Jones spotted me walking the docks in the morning and asked..."What are you doing here?" Told him it was my first poker run and I was trying to find out which size Banana Boat to bring next year. He laughed and said what have you got?

After spending the day with Peter, his son and Bob the builder and his crew and checking everyone out......I had a great time and I'll be back, with one of my 39's and a 42.....that was a lot of fun..BUT Size matters.

www.bananaboatco.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 12.jpg   29.jpg  

13. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Nice Charlie, Thanks for all the input.

14. Collapse Details

Very cool !

Charlie ... any idea where " Jumpin Jack " is today ?

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by LEOPAJM View Post
    Very cool !

Charlie ... any idea where " Jumpin Jack " is today ?
    There were two "Jumpin Jacks" one was a 36 foot Cigarette and the other was a 35 Cigarette....both owned and driven by Jack Tushinsky.

I have no idea where they are today........somebody ought to find them and rescue them.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Top Banana View Post
    This was my first ever Poker Run.