1. Collapse Details
    its between 2...
    Hi All!! new here but not so new to boating, however its been a while since i owned a boat...

I'm looking at 2 particular boats and would like opinions....

1) 1983 Hull CC Stinger 312 newly re done in 2009 with new 502 efi magnums, new tsr out drives, all re wired, new dash and gauges, for all purposes this boat is all redone, $19k

2) 1988 CC Stinger Fittipaldi with 502 magnums new in 2004, needs some minor TLC (roughly 1k worth) but a very rare boat. $22k

for roughly the same price these 2 examples are good buys, the pro's on boat 1 is turn key re done within the last few years and boat 2 is the rare factor...

I am leaning toward boat 1 but would like some advice...

2. Collapse Details

pictures? links?

3. Collapse Details

boat 1
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BDC1013 View Post
    pictures? links?
    here ya go... first 3 pictures are the fittipaldi, second 3 pictures are boat 1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rochester fittipaldi - cockpit.jpg   rochester fittipaldi - port front.jpg   rochester fittipaldi - deck.jpg  

39244_2.jpg   39244_5.jpg   39244_6.jpg  

5. Collapse Details

Welcome to SOS

Get a professional marine survey done, It's a lot cheaper in the long run.

Where are you located ? someone on here will know a good surveyor in your neck of the woods.
    Parabellum FJ²B

6. Collapse Details

Another one for boat #1

7. Collapse Details

Number 1, assuming that it passes a survey and is not a salt water boat.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    Number 1, assuming that it passes a survey and is not a salt water boat.
    both boats are fresh water boats their entire lives, both are in upstate NY and boat 1 has had a survey, boat 2 is actually docked about 2 blocks from my house. I like the "rare" factor of boat 2 and the fact that the hull is 5 years newer, but boat 1 seems to be "better" if thats the right word, in that it was completely re done and up graded less than 100 hours ago, it only needs minor upholstery work on the rear seat and sun pads. Boat 1 comes with a folder full of receipts and record's of everything done since the current owner has owned the boat. Boat 2 is a second owner boat and also well cared for and used regularly.

9. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Assuming both boats pass the survey test identically for wood in the hull, buy whichever one makes you the happiest. They are for all practical purposes identical, except the newer upgrades on the 83.

I have an 83 39 Scorpion, and just looked up the basics from the 312L Stinger for 83.

The boat was 31' 6", Beam 96", weight (boat only) 4300 lbs.

I do not have a brochure that includes the Fittipaldi.

But, the wood in the stringers, bulkheads, and transom are the number one issue of what to watch for.

What drives are on the Fittipaldi?

What trannies are in front of the TRS's in the 312?
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Assuming both boats pass the survey test identically for wood in the hull, buy whichever one makes you the happiest. They are for all practical purposes identical, except the newer upgrades on the 83.

I have an 83 39 Scorpion, and just looked up the basics from the 312L Stinger for 83.

The boat was 31' 6", Beam 96", weight (boat only) 4300 lbs.

I do not have a brochure that includes the Fittipaldi.

But, the wood in the stringers, bulkheads, and transom are the number one issue of what to watch for.

What drives are on the Fittipaldi?

What trannies are in front of the TRS's in the 312?

Thanks for the great advice... The survey on boat 1 says stringers and transome are good and no problems found, it is about 20 or so pages long and was done in April 2011 just before a potential sale fell through.

I did not see a survey on boat 2 but would obviously have one performed, after speaking with the owner in great detail, he was very informative as to what to look for on these older, used CC Stingers. Boat 2 has the "newer" Bravo drives with SS props.

Not sure what trannies are on the first boat, but the owner has made the mechanic at the marina who performed all the work available to me for any questions, he also has a binder will every receipt and record of all work done in his possession which he has also made available to me, he is the one that had all the upgrades and enhancements done to the boat.

11. Collapse Details

welcome, i would take the fidipaldi ! ( boat #2 ) if its a real one tho !

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 600sci View Post
    welcome, i would take the fidipaldi ! ( boat #2 ) if its a real one tho !

It is for sure a REAL fittipaldi... needs some cosmetic tlc, and I noticed several stress cracks in the gel coat, maybe cause they show up more on the red, I do like this boat alot, but my practical side is telling me to go with boat 1 just from the stand point of everything that counts being new or redone recently and the extensive paper trail.

Is there any advantage to the MPI/EFI magnum versus the carbed 502? boat 1 is EFI, boat 2 is carbed with roller cam, some head work and silent choice. Boat 1 goes 60 mph on GPS, boat 2 will do 70 mph (no GPS)

Its a tough decision but I am really leaning toward Boat 1 for just the peace of mind from all the upgrades. I guess anytime you are dealing with 23 to 27 year old boats there will be some give and take, I just want to choose the one with the most give and the least take... lol!!

13. Collapse Details

I like carbs better, but thats me..a lot easyer to work on and also to beef up ! Stress cracks..i would not worry and its also a newer boat !
    new parts ..i agree, always a + but u still never know ..because its a boat !

Go with the fitipaldi ! u be happy u did even tho it may cost some bucks over the time to get her up to date !

IMO

14. Collapse Details
    update!
    after alot of research, discussions,negotiations and a survey, i decided on boat 1, the white one....it is all around a safer bet in terms of records, survey and overall condition... i pick it up in about 2 weeks! I am very happy and satisfied with my decision and have already had some cool graphics designed for the deck and sides... although its late in the season, i anticipate some fun times with this baby....

15. Collapse Details

Congrats. I used to have a white 260 CC stinger. Always got lots of compliments on it. Ran low 50s with stock small blocks and Cobra drives. It was also a Murray Chris Craft, like yours but was built when the OMC connection was there. It would be worth learning the Chris Craft/Murray/OMC/Genmar story btw.

I was never really impressed with the red Fitipaldis other than in the movie Tequila Sunrise.

16. Collapse Details

Congrats !
    Parabellum FJ²B

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    Congrats. I used to have a white 260 CC stinger. Always got lots of compliments on it. Ran low 50s with stock small blocks and Cobra drives. It was also a Murray Chris Craft, like yours but was built when the OMC connection was there. It would be worth learning the Chris Craft/Murray/OMC/Genmar story btw.

I was never really impressed with the red Fitipaldis other than in the movie Tequila Sunrise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Congrats !
    Thanks Guys!!! this is going to be the longest 2 weeks of my life, waiting to pick this up.... but it gives me time to take the safety course and read up on safe boating, I have not owned a boat since 1987 and I was only 21 then so my mindset was much different back then, but i am sure the time will seem like forever anyway...

18. Collapse Details

Way to go!
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

19. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Congrats.......

The difference in speed between the two, in my opinion, is the difference between TRS drives set low with a lot of drag, and the Bravo's set a little higher with less drag. If you get a real need to increase the speed, watch for a decent buy on the Konrad swapouts......
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

20. Collapse Details

Congrats