Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Great topic. I too had been wondering why someone has not tried to break this record. I would like to Skater (or a rich onwer of Skater) to step up, and give a go at it with their V-Bottom. I would be A-OK with a Cigarette too. It would generate alot of interest, I hope someone steps and attempts to break the record.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    I don't have a bathroom in the garage, just a bush around the back.....
    same dif!

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by mikes280 View Post
    If the economy was good and i was looking to buy what would mean more to me is how fast a given boat is with stock merc power. Like lets say 36 ft boat with 525 power or 700 power. The boat would have to be a off the shelf piece with full cabin. Also what cruse speed and how much fuel at cruse. This way i could look at a performance and say OK this 36 will run 65mph at curse and burn this much fuel per hour. There are just to many things going on for the v-speed record to mater, to start with that is not a boat that most of us will ever own and it is not a boat i can do poker runs and play in on the weekends.
    I was at Regieville when he set the record and it was awesome to be there and see it done it gave me a whole new respect for him, does it sell boats maybe a few but my bet is it does not make that much difference now.
    What you are describing is the draw behind "F" class racing, seeing who wins with equal power definitely sells some boats.

4. Collapse Details

Not that it's my market, but if someone made a big V bottom, that ran 150 fully loaded, genstet, hot water, microwave, tv etc.. that you could actually stand up in down below, run on pump gas, go 2 seasons wthout blowing something up and could handle rough water.. It might sell a few more boats than dropping monster motors with a 15 minute lifespan into a bare carbon hull.
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    What you are describing is the draw behind "F" class racing, seeing who wins with equal power definitely sells some boats.
    Right on Ted, I enjoyed watch'n the F1 & F2 races back on Speedvision in the day!!

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wrinkleface View Post
    Right on Ted, I enjoyed watch'n the F1 & F2 races back on Speedvision in the day!!

When we had the APBA race here in Baltimore we had like 8-10 of each class running, it was pretty wild coming into the first turn

7. Collapse Details

Anybody who is planning on using the "fastest V bottom" marketing method better also be using the "everybody gets financed forever for $999 a month on 35 foot boats" plan.

Of course the downside is flooding the market with repo'd, uber-financed boats and having the company go under the minute that the economy tanks.

But hey... you have those bragging rights.

8. Collapse Details

Yep and to me what killed it was all the cheating. The different sanction bodies did not do there homework so they could catch these guys so it killed the class but it was some good racing.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by masher44 View Post
    How fast has XXX been? Didnt it run 125 with 1075s? Thats a huge gap to close. You buy it and I'll drive it. Therefore you wont risk injury
    It held the kilo record when OL owned/operated the boat @ 160+++. That was with Sterling 1550's. When it was sold as a PR boat it had 1075's making a 125-130 mph boat.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JupiterSunsation View Post
    It held the kilo record when OL owned/operated the boat @ 160+++. That was with Sterling 1550's. When it was sold as a PR boat it had 1075's making a 125-130 mph boat.
    i don't think it ever held the record it had gps speed claims of those speeds but did it have the offical record

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
    Great topic. I too had been wondering why someone has not tried to break this record. I would like to Skater (or a rich onwer of Skater) to step up, and give a go at it with their V-Bottom. I would be A-OK with a Cigarette too. It would generate alot of interest, I hope someone steps and attempts to break the record.
    What ever happened to the orange Young Performance 399 Skater?
    Run until it sounds expensive

12. Collapse Details

You may want to shave that.
    Taking Over the World One Thread at a Time
    The Penguin Cometh

13. Collapse Details

Not that it's my market, but if someone made a big V bottom, that ran 150 fully loaded, genstet, hot water, microwave, tv etc.. that you could actually stand up in down below, run on pump gas, go 2 seasons wthout blowing something up and could handle rough water.. It might sell a few more boats than dropping monster motors with a 15 minute lifespan into a bare carbon hull.
    I agree with this and more importantly, I doubt Reggie will have free reigns any more to blow $1.5 million to prove this point again. Could be wrong, but that is why they were bought out due to stupid expenditures that truly do not offer a lot of value to the end consumer. You put enough horsepower on a Jon Boat and it will go fast.

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer01 View Post
    You put enough horsepower on a Jon Boat and it will go fast.
    Make it a Jon Boat with a 50 thousand dollar paint job and you can call it "performance boating" out west.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by mikes280 View Post
    i don't think it ever held the record it had gps speed claims of those speeds but did it have the offical record
    They thought they had the record......

cut and pasted from OSO:
    Outerlimits Certified As the Worlds Fastest V-Bottom…AGAIN!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bristol RI – February 6, 2004 – In a certified speed trial, sanctioned by the National Powerboat Association on Friday, 2/6/2004, Mike Fiore, president of Outerlimits Powerboats, averaged a speed of 161.29 MPH for a kilometer verified on ‘ state-of-the-art’ GPS in his new 47’ canopied GTX, named “XXX”. This run took place on Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island at 3:00 PM EST, February 6, 2004 on a chilly, drizzly afternoon.

After travelling north over a mile out of the channel at 161.88 MPH and returning south at 160.7 MPH, the average speed was 161.29 MPH. This makes the 47 GTX the first v-bottom to eclipse the 160 MPH barrier in an officially sanctioned event. This run was confirmed by co-pilot, Billy Frenz, Executive Director of the NPBA (National Powerboat Association). The GTX is powered by twin stock 1450 HP Sterling engines with No. 6 Merc Speedmasters and Hering propellers. Many of Outerlimits boats are outfitted with Sterling engines because they are some of the finest, fastest and most reliable engines out there.

Despite the fact that Outerlimits already holds the Official V-Bottom Kilo Record of 149.7 MPH in a 42’ GTX model, also powered with twin 1450 HP Sterlings, Merc Speedmasters and Hering props, they felt the need to raise the bar. This previous record was set in Washington, North Carolina on October 3, 2003 and officiated by Poker Runs of America.

“What a rush!!!” exclaimed Billy Frenz as he emerged from the cockpit after the run. “This boat is going to disappoint a lot of Cat owners at our New York City Powerboat Rally”, referring to the annual June event held on the Hudson River that determines the fastest catamarans and fastest v-bottoms.

“We are absolutely thrilled with our achievement of breaking our own record” stated Mike Fiore. “Just in case anyone had any doubts about the last record we attained being a one time event, we wanted to set the record straight. And again, we accomplished this in a pleasure boat that you can buy.” Outerlimits Powerboats are known not only for their beauty, design and quality, but in addition, their outstanding performance. This record only enhances Outerlimits prominence in the industry and once again proves Outerlimits is the ultimate in high performance offshore powerboats.

For further information on the complete line of boats that they offer, contact Outerlimits Offshore Powerboats, 91 Broad Common Road, Bristol, RI 02809 (401) 253-7300 or visit their website at www.outerlimitspowerboats.com.

16. Collapse Details

Worldwide - Blue Martini Hall of Fame - Your sisters house
    Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    Make it a Jon Boat with a 50 thousand dollar paint job and you can call it "performance boating" out west.
    LMAO. Havasu...................

17. Collapse Details

If I wanted ultra fast, I'd be over at dragboats.com oogling top fuel hydros.

Isn't the sport "offshore"? Last I looked, it was bumpy out there. These top speed efforts are like running Baja trucks on asphalt.

18. Collapse Details

You rich B A S T A R D , I'd kill for a bush to pee behind !
    Parabellum FJ²B

19. Collapse Details

I thought F class was the best racing I'd ever seen! Why o why did they pull the F class races? Seemed like the perfect mix of user friendly for racers on a budget and a proving ground for manufacturers

But I asume this is a whole other topic
    Making the best in the industry BETTER since 1990...LIP-SHIP Performance: 305-933-9988

2010 Desert Storm Poker Run extravaganza - 04/22 through 4/25 Lake Havasu, Az.

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    if i wanted ultra fast, i'd be over at dragboats.com oogling top fuel hydros.

Isn't the sport "offshore"? Last i looked, it was bumpy out there. These top speed efforts are like running baja trucks on asphalt.

x2
    Tom