Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    Sissy..........
    Obsolete old fart.

2. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Another great Copeland Story from back in the day compliments of T2x from another site:

"Early 90's and the level of excitement at the Key West World's had definitely faded from the "glory days"..... The bars were quiet and the streets half empty. A favorite hangout of the true racers was always the beach bar in the Pier House..... We were sitting there one evening with about a half dozen people lamenting the fact that in past years there was always so many more people at the place, when Copeland and his entourage showed up...... at about Midnight. Al yelled "Where's the PARTY?" and proceeded to settle in and join the B.S. Within maybe 15 minutes the place was crowded almost to the old levels. Al was eyeing a baseball hat with a blond ponytail sticking out the back that I had found in some dive on Duvall Street. He wanted to buy it for $100 and I declined the offer. Later he spotted a young couple who had been sitting off by themselves. After a few questions, he found out that they were newlyweds enjoying their honeymoon. Now let me state that these were a couple of clean cut midwest kids who had nothing to do with Al, the races or anything beyond being in a place they had dreamed of probably for years. After a few more questions it became clear that these were very simple people who were more than a little overwhelmed by Al and his approach. Al turns to the rest of us and says "How much you wanna bet , I can get her ( the young bride) to dance topless on a table within 15 minutes?".........

Within what seemed seconds the betting had swelled to about $15,000.....and my hat. Anyone sitting there could not possibly have pictured this simple homegrown young bride doing anything but slapping him in the face.

After all the bets were in, I can't recall who held the pot
    ............maybe Dave Gilmore........ Al proceeded to have a quiet conversation with the young couple. As we watched, both the bride and the groom looked at times angry, shocked, confused, upset, desperate.......and then, suddenly, they seemed to change. The husband began to talk in a plaintive way to his wife, she giggled a little, and responded hesitantly but then with some enthusiasm.

Bottom line the next thing we know....she's up on the table......topless and dancing to beat the band....(stereo actually).

After this display Al walks over to them has a quick word and they walk away...."Thanking" us all.....???????

Al came back and took the cash...and my hat..... and explained. .......

He split the pot with them and they wound up with $10,000 for a deposit on a house they were saving for..... The 10 grand put them over the top.

Like Barnum....Copeland had a grasp of the human condition and was the supreme hustler....."
    Let me set the scene for another tale from the crypt....................

Mid 80's................. same bar, different (earlier) year. The partying had gone on for hours fueled by a stream of cash from a couple of the high profile "funny money" teams...actually one in particular. Sitting on a stool drinking heavily and eerily silent for almost the entire night was a world renowned, highly talented engine builder, who shall remain nameless (We shall call him "Keith" for purposes of anonymity ). "Keith" was holding the purse strings for a race team he was part of at that time (also nameless but carrying the image of a Native American Tribe ). Aside from an occasional sloppy giggle/belch he had uttered not a word all evening as he perched seemingly in his own little world. The night was waning, and while he slowly and carefully paid the bar tab for about 100 people who had come (and gone)all night long, he suddenly began to speak.

In a very quiet voice he asked a simple question of the assembled racers, announcers, builders, riggers and other assorted riff raff, all of whom fell into a hushed silence............

"Why do you wrap hamsters in electrical tape?" whispered the notoriously shy, semi reclusive, engineering genius and builder of the greatest, most respected (and expensive) race engines in the world.

The crowd, eager for any tidbit of knowledge that the rarely heard maestro might dispense, all replied in drunken harmony: " I dunno."

Upon hearing this, "Keith's" eyes seemed to twinkle and he muttered: "To keep them from exploding when you f*ck em!"

With that he looked around, took a step off his stool, and passed out on the floor.

What was Offshore racing like in the 80's you ask?

That about sums it up.

T2x
    Allergic to Nonsense

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    No comment.....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

4. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike A. View Post
    Obsolete old fart.
    My dear Esquire

That's Mister Obsolete Old Fart to you........
    Allergic to Nonsense

5. Collapse Details

I was that young girl......................

6. Collapse Details

It's not offshore racing, but Tim Richmond's story pretty much sums up racing in the 80's.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar..._ed&id=4394325

7. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
    I was that young girl......................
    No you weren't, but she probably wound up in your room shortly thereafter.
    Allergic to Nonsense

8. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by NNRT View Post
    An Idea that the Europeans did years ago, was to Charge each race team a fee - (something like $50,000.00) - that was to Guarantee they would show up for each and every race, at least to run over the start line - I think (not sure) it was returned at the end of the season. They also charged a fee - to each race team in advance - for TV - that way they knew the funds would be available for producing each event - In 1993 - I filmed for them, in their format, the Video had multiple cameras - at least 6 or more. Finished product was shown on RAI - the national TV of Italy. I would shoot the events - flying from London where my helicopter was based to each event - some as far away as Malta, which would require two days to get there, and two days to fly back to London - all for just about 90 minutes of filming. An unfortunate thing, I never got to see my own work, as soon as the event was over, I would hand over the Tape, pack up and leave to fly home. The Local Italian teams would do the post event coverage.

I have to thank People like Walter Ragazzi who belived in my work, and who won in Dubai - the grand title in 1992 which we filmed as well. If anyone knows how to locate Walter, please let me know.

Offshore Racing can be done and done well - in those days - you would have a Minimum of 24 OPEN boats - and the racing was as T2X would say - "bow handle to bow handle" - racers would group in groups of 5 or so - and the excitment was unbelievable - not like here in this country where its like a continous string of pearls running in a circle and no one knows what is happening.

Oh well - just a few ideas from a retired old videographer ! now back to your regular programing !

Phil
    nnrt.films@verizon.net
    Good point. We floated that with Supercat. When we had 18 teams I proposed we limited it 10. The first 10 to commit to the season and put a up a bond. To get into Supercat you would have to buy a team making it worth more then the equipment. If you decided to increase the number of teams the existing group of boats benefited from a cash payout. It was not well received.
    Steve

9. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    When Supercat was that large, why?

And why would it need to be limited?

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    A story from Brownie from another website:

"About 25 years ago, I was officiating the 'Cougar Cub' World Championships in Key West. We were all there for the Worlds, with all the 3 and 4 engine boats. On the off day, we held the Cub championship. Most all the teams had one painted up just like the big boat. Toward the end of the day, someone brought us a box of chicken and some beer. We put it on the hood of the nearest car, and continued to watch the heat races. Up comes Al, and says "What the f**k is that KFC doing on the hood of my car??????? He swooped it off with one hand, jumped in his Agusta Bell 109 chooper, flew to Miami, and brought back a chopper load of Popeye's for everyone."

The good ole days!

I was there for that, True Story.

11. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    When Supercat was that large, why?

And why would it need to be limited?
    2001 it was that large. It needed to be limited because history tells us it will not stay that size. If you limit it and make the team a valuable asset you may actually have 10 big cats racing each other at every race for several years.
    steve
    Last edited by Steve Miklos; 08-14-2009 at 01:30 PM.

12. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Thanks, kinda like 42 NASCAR qualifyers. Would that model, or the Unlimited Heats model accomplish the same thing?

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    Let me set the scene for another tale from the crypt....................

Mid 80's................. same bar, different (earlier) year. The partying had gone on for hours fueled by a stream of cash from a couple of the high profile "funny money" teams...actually one in particular. Sitting on a stool drinking heavily and eerily silent for almost the entire night was a world renowned, highly talented engine builder, who shall remain nameless (We shall call him "Keith" for purposes of anonymity ). "Keith" was holding the purse strings for a race team he was part of at that time (also nameless but carrying the image of a Native American Tribe ). Aside from an occasional sloppy giggle/belch he had uttered not a word all evening as he perched seemingly in his own little world. The night was waning, and while he slowly and carefully paid the bar tab for about 100 people who had come (and gone)all night long, he suddenly began to speak.

In a very quiet voice he asked a simple question of the assembled racers, announcers, builders, riggers and other assorted riff raff, all of whom fell into a hushed silence............

"Why do you wrap hamsters in electrical tape?" whispered the notoriously shy, semi reclusive, engineering genius and builder of the greatest, most respected (and expensive) race engines in the world.

The crowd, eager for any tidbit of knowledge that the rarely heard maestro might dispense, all replied in drunken harmony: " I dunno."

With that, "Keith's" eyes seemed to twinkle and he muttered: "To keep them from exploding when you f*ck em!"

With that he looked around, took a step off his stool, and passed out on the floor.

What was Offshore racing like in the 80's you ask?

That about sums it up.

T2x
    This story & the story about the Newlyweds, are unique & enjoyable to read.

I am a new member, to the forum. I've learned quite a bit, from reading the previous 10 pages, in this thread. The knowledge that has been shared so far, is just amazing & very insightful. Will definitely keep watching this thread. Thank you to everyone for the input/ sharing knowledge, thus far.

James

14. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Jim,
    It was nice meeting you at the St. Clair race. In spite of alot on this thread, most of us still have a great time racing!!! I'm sure in 20 years, I'll be telling everyone how great it was 'back then".
    Bob G. 606 Lock'd Up Racing

15. Collapse Details

Duct tape, huh? Does that really work with hamsters?

I'm just asking. I am, after all, a very serious, self-important journalist.

Point of clarification: There was no "dotcom" money influx to offshore racing, because folks ... none of the dotcoms were making any money from 1999 to 2001. What actually burst, was a stock market speculation bubble, most particularly the NASDAQ, that dotcoms would EVENTUALLY make money. Never happened.

The money that fueled the dotcoms was all, and I mean all, venture capital. None of it, and I mean none, was generated by the dotcoms. Trust me, and I mean trust me, I was at dotcom ground zero in those heady, whacky (i.e. stupid and wasteful) days.

On a (somewhat) more serious note: Limiting availability (i.e. field size of a class) can actually create demand. The idea Steve Miklos mentioned is a very good one.

Last, and I think you guys will hate me for this: I think the "for the good of the sport" notion is quaint and lovely and all that—and total rubbish. If you want offshore racing to succeed, make it "for the good of the organizers' and racers' pocketbooks."

It should be approached in true Michael Corleone fashion, that being, "It's business. Just business."

16. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Trulio View Post
    If you want offshore racing to succeed, make it "for the good of the organizers' and racers' pocketbooks."
    That might work behind the scenes, but as a marketing scheme logo/slogan, not so sure........

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Trulio View Post
    Point of clarification: There was no "dotcom" money influx to offshore racing, because folks ... none of the dotcoms were making any money from 1999 to 2001. What actually burst, was a stock market speculation bubble, most particularly the NASDAQ, that dotcoms would EVENTUALLY make money. Never happened.

The money that fueled the dotcoms was all, and I mean all, venture capital. None of it, and I mean none, was generated by the dotcoms. Trust me, and I mean trust me, I was at dotcom ground zero in those heady, whacky (i.e. stupid and wasteful) days.
    Man did that make me chuckle! Thanks for that. Ahhh the good old day and the reason everyone turns up to the ball park... the hope that someone's going to hit the long ball! Thanks Matt, that really made me smile.

18. Collapse Details

Great Thread.

Start of Miami to Bimini race in 1979. 1st Place Prize Money from February 1978 OPBRA race.

Regards,

Jo - Pantera Boats
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pantera_historypg4_7.jpg   pantera_historypg2_8.jpg  
    Last edited by JO - PANTERABOAT; 08-15-2009 at 12:29 AM.

19. Collapse Details

Ratickle,

You are quite right, "Let's make a whole lot of money on this sport" is a less than optimal marketing approach. But again, we're talking business plan, and we live in a highly "incentivized" (profit motivated) country. Profitable things in United States, go figure, succeed and tend to get more profitable. Forget General Motors ... yes, they had huge union problems, but they also had a hugely inflated view of their customer base, and what the customer wanted in a product. But I digress.

You want an offshore racing marketing slogan? Off the top of my head, how about, "The Wettest Fun You Can Have." But again, I digress.

My point was this: We all need incentive and, frankly, protecting the "future" of offshore racing" is a pretty weak incentive. This isn't NASCAR and never, never will be, meaning I don't think the high end offshore race team owners will ever turn a profit. But let's say they can participate and break even, or come close. And let's say that, as they break even, they can turn their teams into at least a minor marketing vehicle for their own companies. That translates to free advertising.

Each of us is a "special interest," meaning first and foremost will do what's necessary to take care of ourselves and our people. That is a very good thing. So what does that translate to in a collective economic culture? It means that leaving or forming a "splinter group" will be so economically painful that only a lunatic would do it. Create that climate, that purely visceral capitalistic climate we all believe in, for offshore racing and it will reach another level. For all its flaws, I think the LLC understood that. (But I could be wrong. Smile._

20. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JO - PANTERABOAT View Post
    Great Thread.

Start of Miami to Bimini race in 1979. 1st Place Prize Money from February 1978 OPBRA race.

Regards,

Jo - Pantera Boats
    You forgot to cash it........ Is it drawing interest?????