Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Question - how do we get boats under 30ft to participate in poker runs?
    I just announced that we are sold out for this weekend's Roar At The Shore Poker Run - 40 boats which is great!

But - we only have 2 of the 40 boats under 30 feet.

We have a 60mph group for smaller / slower / or bigger boats that want to take it easy

The entry fee is $199 which includes 2 people for cont. breakfast, a killer BBQ for 2 at a Country Club which also will have a 2 hour top shelf open bar. And includes 2 poker hands.

So I think the value is there? I think the 60mph group helps accomodate?

Would like to hear some feedback from the under 30 boat owners as to how do we (NJPPC) get more smaller boats to participate?

2. Collapse Details

I've seen a few up here this year. They tend to be nicer, newer boats.

I think that's part of it- a feeling of being out-classed on the water. Maybe personal invites from owners of larger boats. Or a buddy system- pairing a bigger boat and a smaller together.

3. Collapse Details

Call 'em "Blackjack Runs" and don't allow anything over 38'2" to enter....

4. Collapse Details

I like the fact that you are attempting to get the smaller/slower boats more involved.
    It sounds like a good run, and for the money, it sounds like a nice day on the water with a bunch of cool boats.
    I'm not sure about what all giveaway/contests you have in your run, but I'm used to seeing a nicest boat of the run, or something along those lines, as well as best dressed crew, etc... Just the goofy/fun contests.
    Maybe offer something along those lines for only the slow/smaller boats.
    Just thinking off the top of my head.
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

5. Collapse Details

I'd enter with my 29' boat but its a little far away! $200 is a good price but maybe give a little discount to 30' and under entries?

I don't know where you course runs but our SCOPE run has two courses. One to Catalina had another just down the coast and back. Anyone can run either course.

Maybe have some kind of special awards for each group (first boat, best looking crew, etc) under 30 and over 30.

Not sure what else you could do.

6. Collapse Details

most boats in the 25~30 range are 50~55 mph boats..., sure there are fast boats in that size, but I'm talking generalization. they also probably don;t have engines you want to hold wfo... so now your talking about 45~50 mile an hour boats. are poker runs fun? yes..but if I was to take one of the novas (twin smallbocks, or single 454) given the caliber of the other boats...
    I would feel like some kind of refugee.... the anchor at the back of the run... the fast boats will be in and partying before I make the lunch stop. so given the choice of being a back marker turtle or a spectator, most would choose spectator..it's less humbleing.
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

7. Collapse Details

Phragle, I disagree to a certain extent.
    For me, seeing a 27 Magnum, or my 24 Pantera, or any other old-school classic making the run in the slow group would be a very cool thing.
    I think, (if they are educated in offshore), the guys with the bigger faster boats would also take some interest in the smaller older boats.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    most boats in the 25~30 range are 50~55 mph boats..., sure there are fast boats in that size, but I'm talking generalization. they also probably don;t have engines you want to hold wfo... so now your talking about 45~50 mile an hour boats. are poker runs fun? yes..but if I was to take one of the novas (twin smallbocks, or single 454) given the caliber of the other boats...
    I would feel like some kind of refugee.... the anchor at the back of the run... the fast boats will be in and partying before I make the lunch stop. so given the choice of being a back marker turtle or a spectator, most would choose spectator..it's less humbleing.
    That hits the nail, dead on the head.

9. Collapse Details

Dave give it to the end of the year. When all the bigger boat builders are bankrupt and out of business because no bank wants to finance anyone for a boat, you will have plenty of boats below 30ft. :hat:

10. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    True Buoy, except there aren't a whole lot of small Magnums and Panteras in the world.

What is out there is the average Baja, Formula etc. It's hard to bring one as Phragle says because the feeling of not fitting in.

Have a completely seperate one limited to boats no larger than 30 feet that starts earlier in the day maybe???
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

11. Collapse Details

Registered
    We are doing the same thing up here with our club.
    First you have to have a 55mph club.
    You have to start in 2 waves with slow first so they can see something all day.
    And most importantly you have to stress to your current members with any speed of boat to welcome them and make them feel included.

Especially the HEADLINERS

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by catastrophe View Post
    We are doing the same thing up here with our club.
    First you have to have a 55mph club.
    You have to start in 2 waves with slow first so they can see something all day.
    And most importantly you have to stress to your current members with any speed of boat to welcome them and make them feel included.

Especially the HEADLINERS
    The only problem I see with this scenario is a possible safety issue.

Having the slower boats out front (~60mph), and them getting passed by a group running ~120mph could get ugly, especially for a lesser experienced captain in the slower boat - which is often the case in the smaller/slower boat.

A few years ago, Cumberland had the slower guys start later, and it worked.
    Not sure what they have been doing since then.

13. Collapse Details

starting smaller boats early makes sense try to get everybody to the lunch stop within a half hour of each other so the slow guys can feel like they are part of the run and not a hinderance.

14. Collapse Details

they should be spread out enough by the time the fast boats get thereto negate the risk

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    True Buoy, except there aren't a whole lot of small Magnums and Panteras in the world.

What is out there is the average Baja, Formula etc. It's hard to bring one as Phragle says because the feeling of not fitting in.

Have a completely seperate one limited to boats no larger than 30 feet that starts earlier in the day maybe???
    At the risk of making the unpopular post, I'm going to say this anyway.
    The smaller, production performance boats, are generally a persons entrance into performance boating.
    Once they get the bug, they generally (not always) seek out a larger, faster, or more of a custom/purpose built boat.
    Larger - may stay with the same brand because they were happy with it, or it is affordable and suits their needs.
    Same size - maybe try a manufacturer that has a race history or pedigree, or something a little more unique at the local hangout.
    Faster - maybe try something the same size in a cat or with exotic motor(s).

It affords the opportunity for them to see how their boat stacks up against what else is available on the market, and to look over the hardware and kick the props.

16. Collapse Details

Registered
    We never have them arriving anywhere 30 minutes apart.
    Same time is our goal'

WHAT WE ARE SEEING is that the big guys arent wailing the pizz out of their stuff anymore.
    Lot of our guys including me say Been There Done That

Our goal totally is Comraderie not First at the next stop.

I'm having same great day at 70mph as I was at 150mph.
    Beer tastes exactly the same.

17. Collapse Details

starting smaller boats early makes sense try to get everybody to the lunch stop within a half hour of each other so the slow guys can feel like they are part of the run and not a hinderance.
    they should be spread out enough by the time the fast boats get thereto negate the risk
    If it's spread out properly, this is great.
    I just wouldn't want to see the scenario I described.

18. Collapse Details

On our run we have 2 courses with 3 groups.

The offshore group (ocean running)
    The inshore group (bay only running)
    The 60moh group (bay only running)

The inshore course on this run is much shorter and both bay groups are finished ahead of the big boys.

19. Collapse Details

The bottom line here is that no one wants to be intimidated. I did my first poker run at the age of 22 with an under 30' 65mph boat and I didnt know a single person who was in it or involved with it. Going into it I wa scared ****less, a week before my boat broke and I was invited out of the blue by one of the locals to ride on his boat. I went and had the time of my life and met some people who evolved into lifelong friends. Once I realized it wasnt about the speed or money Ive tried to go back every year and poker runs turned into a passion. That being said, I've since then attended runs that I will never go back to becase of the level of arrogance in the air.

If you want to attract an slower 30' and under crowd you need to prove that your all about a good time and that anyone is welcome despite what boat they have. This is something that I try and stress on my fun run. When the owner of an old slow boat runs in the same event as American Muscle and at the end of the day says "fuk yeah what a great time, I fukin love it" then you know you did something right. .

The Cleveland East Side Boat Club opened up a world that I never knew existed, thanks to them I know have a permanet reminder inked on my back of what I really enjoy in life.

20. Collapse Details

I think your hat scared everyone away.Sorry can't do this one.