Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Collapse Details
    Seminole Spirit - 27 Magnum
    Here is an email I got the other day from Dick Carlson, he ran throttles for my dad, Danny Patrona, in the Seminole Spirit for years. Bruce Merriman was also in the boat as navigator. I thought this was a great story to share about old school offshore racing, and how crazy they were back in the day. And I know if given the chance, most of us would do it today..... the photo attached goes with the story.

Phill,
    This picture of the "Spirit" was taken at the "1979 Bacardi Rum Race" in Miami, it is priceless. The "Spirit" was in the lead when the picture was taken, there were (60) boats behind us and (19) Helicopters in the air. We were heading east out of Government Cut just past the shore line and the high breakers were to our port. The splash in the picture is the "Spirit" coming out of a offshore wave.

We flew the boat and came down on the backside of a wave with the nose of the boat at 45 degrees downward and then proceeded to go through the next wave. We went through the next wave underwater but the boat displaced enough water to keep the boat from taking on water. The water actually had a umbrella effect over the top of us. The deck of the boat had cracked 4 Ft down each side from the water impact. I have never experienced this again or heard from anyone who did.

After coming out the wave and getting our heads straight, we headed to the Bimini turn. The race took over 3 hrs to complete 125 miles, only half of the boats made it to Bimini (30 mi) and only (18) boats finished the race. We ran out of gas just past the finish line inside Government Cut but managed to finish 1st. This race was more survival than speed.

Jimmy (Patrona) and Larry (Arnone) were at this race, Ask Jimmy if he remembers doing shots with José Bacardi and his body guard (Bacardi shots).

Enjoy,
    Dick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001_1 (2).JPG   010_10.jpg   012_12.jpg