Thread: Rules 2011

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by shifter View Post
    Do you have other classes in OPA besides these?

pat W
    SC,SCL,SVL,EXTREME
    Rich Smith
    Smith Brothers Offshore Racing Team
    Cotnertrailers.com 611

2. Collapse Details

Why do you have those classes too?

pat W
    Unique Innovative Drivetrain Solutions

3. Collapse Details

pat W

P-classes (or bracket racing)
    Class 1 115mph
    Class 3 95mph
    Class 4 85mph
    Class 5 75mph
    Class 6 70mph

Spec Racing
    Super V
    Super V lite
    Cat Lite
    Cat 750
    Cat Extreme
    Cat Outboard

4. Collapse Details

pat W
    Gives everyone a place to race. We generally run 2 or 3 races on a Sunday
    depending on the boat count. 1st and 2nd, P classes, 3rd fast boys (some spec, some p class). If the boat count is lower, 1st p classes, second fast boys (some Spec, some P class)
    Rich Smith
    Smith Brothers Offshore Racing Team
    Cotnertrailers.com 611

5. Collapse Details

Pat, Smitty here. How you been. And first of all how is Vern?
    The Offshore rules are different amongst the groups. Reason being, you are where we were a few years ago. Not enough boats to make a race. So you invent classes to entertain the boats you do have. Look at P1 over seas.
    Why did they use power to weight? When they began they had no boats. They were racing Yachts, against row boats. So Power to weight was their answer to our GPS. AS they began to grow and bring in new product, they should have switched to spec motors, and balanced out the field. Instead stayed with the power to weight which can never work. Too many engine variations allowed. Anyway, my point. After 7 years of consistant rules, our classes have filled, and finally new teams come in understanding the classes, and are building boats for a class. We are no longer building classes for the boats. So my advice if it means anything, what ever rules you come up with, must be good for a long period of time. Look towards your future, what boats do you think you will draw, write the rules and lock them down.
    Wazzup Racing Engines
    OPA Racing

6. Collapse Details

Hello Smitty!

I am still baffled why you guys are adding another 6 classes to an already sucessful format. It seems to be diluting the racing. I am looking into the future and Spec does not seem to fit. Look at the mess in SVLT.

We missed going to OB this year (engines are still on the dyno, we are working on a new intake....) It would have been fun to go on another road trip. Looks like you guys had fun there.

pat W

Lastly, I dont talk to Vern anymore.

7. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    Hey Pat

Good luck out there with the racing this year.....POPRA needs to make a comeback then the East-West Shootout could be revived again!!!!! It would be nice to see a set of rules that would roll over to each org so racers could race all of them if they so choose to do so!!!!!! If that happens remains to be seen!!!!!

Sean
    God forgives.....The 1% doesn't!!!!!!

8. Collapse Details

Smitty congrats on another successful year of racing!!!!!!

9. Collapse Details

I am a big fan of spec racing. The reason is simple: It is the best way to grow the sport.
    There are more potential racers out there who want to be able to simply buy a ready made package than those who want to engage in the engine building game.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Mike A. View Post
    I am a big fan of spec racing. The reason is simple: It is the best way to grow the sport.
    There are more potential racers out there who want to be able to simply buy a ready made package than those who want to engage in the engine building game.
    This is a very valid point!!!!!

11. Collapse Details

Not one of the west coast boats runs a factory package.

90% of opa is not spec either.

All the spec engine programs do is allow for cheating at it's finest. Light flywheels, special fuel, hot ecu's, hidden ballast tanks, extreme engine mods, fake seals, etc........forcing people to junk their 10 year old boats for the latest hull to keep up with the latest winner, yea that works.

What needs to happen is what works right now. Spec is dying. So let it blend back into the fleet. If you want to run a stock engine package great! Don't force out the people that are mechanically minded like WAZZAP engines....sorry Smitty.

Guidelines work, not spec.

pat W

12. Collapse Details

All the spec engine programs do is allow for cheating at it's finest. Light flywheels, special fuel, hot ecu's, hidden ballast tanks, extreme engine mods, fake seals, etc........forcing people to junk their 10 year old boats for the latest hull to keep up with the latest winner, yea that works.

What needs to happen is what works right now. Spec is dying. So let it blend back into the fleet. If you want to run a stock engine package great! Don't force out the people that are mechanically minded like WAZZAP engines....sorry Smitty.

pat W
    Teague runs a factory package Pat.....anyway spec class racing is here and I believe it will not go anywhere.....sometimes the latest hulls don't perform like they think they will....anyway I don't care what everyone wants to do when all the dust settles I will decide what I want to do!!!!!

13. Collapse Details

pat W
    Pat,

Don't get me wrong. I think it is great that after all these years you are finally getting involved in a productive way. All I am saying is that if you all want to grow the sport in a meaningful way, you must have classes which are based on production engine packages i.e. Ilmor, Mercury, etc. It is easier for potential racers to get involved if all they have to do is stroke a check, race, put it back on the trailer, and then go race again. P class or bracket racing is a great entryway but the fact is that classes built on boats and engines of different shapes and sizes is intimidating for most potential racers. But, if you can make that work, great. Good luck.

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Stinson View Post
    Teague runs a factory package Pat.....anyway spec class racing is here and I believe it will not go anywhere.....sometimes the latest hulls don't perform like they think they will....anyway I don't care what everyone wants to do when all the dust settles I will decide what I want to do!!!!!
    What he does only he knows. I know if it was me I would race what I build.

Having a spec class with a monopoly on the package spells disaster. That was proven in the past.

There seems to be two paths for parity. GPS and torque sensors to weight.

pat W