Thread: Rules 2011

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Whoz Your Daddy View Post
    K I S S
    Keep it simple STUPID

One reason we race in 5 with OPA We are able to run a 1979 old school race boat have fun and with a little luck have a shot at a checkerd flag once in a while. Is it always perfect? Not a chance!!! But it works for a lot of guys running way to many types of diffrent boats and motor packages and in 95% of the cases it keeps things pretty well rounded and a level field. We race for fun. There will never be enuff $$$$ involved in this class of racing to make it so serious as to spend years of arguing about rules and classes to make it worth it. OPA works use it as a crystal ball if you will. If it aint broke? Why fix it.

My 2 cents

Mike O
    Bored at home LMAO
    This is the OPA rule I was talking about.

CLASS RULES

1. The racers must stay in their bracket speed per lap, if a race boat exceeds the speed in any lap by less than one mile per hour, that team will receive last place points. If a race boat exceeds the top speed of its class by more than one mile per hour, the boat will receive no points and must move up a class for the remainder of the season. The race boat that moves to the next class will not take any accumulated points with the boat to that class nor will they need to pay another equipment registration fee.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by shifter View Post
    Ron,

Do you have your rules set yet?

I talked to Brad tonite about the rules for a while. I am not sure why there is 5 mph between some of the classes. It needs a haircut.

I was looking at:

Sportsman class = newcomers seeing if they would like to race.

P3 up to 85 mph

P2 up to 100 mph

P1 up to 115 mph

PX anything to 160

Nothing else. Tech was back to Jackets, fire extiguishers, Class C licence, radios, compass or GPS, Helmets, etc... Standard Performance rules.

After the race chips turned in and speeds are checked. Done.

pat W
    You are going to deter a number of teams from competing with those brackets. Many of your OPA class 5 and 6 boats would struggle to run 85 safely. OPA currently has more class 5 boats than any other class and class 6 is one of the most subscribed. You need boats to have a successful event,
    why alienate a large number of them? 6 or 7 classes is not a problem at the bracket level. Just my opinion,

Rich
    Rich Smith
    Smith Brothers Offshore Racing Team
    Cotnertrailers.com 611

3. Collapse Details

Ok call it 80.

The idea is not to have people break out. Getting out there and racing is what the idea is all about. Too many people are pushing the limit of the class trying to run the edge and get an easy trophy.

I dont want to have boats break out. I think they need to earn a win.

The racers are putting a lot into the sport with not much return. Step 2.

pat W
    Unique Innovative Drivetrain Solutions

4. Collapse Details

Ok call it 80.

The idea is not to have people break out. Getting out there and racing is what the idea is all about. Too many people are pushing the limit of the class trying to run the edge and get an easy trophy.

I dont want to have boats break out. I think they need to earn a win.

The racers are putting a lot into the sport with not much return. Step 2.

pat W
    I think you underestimate the competitiveness of the teams. If you say the top speed in class is 80 then they will all build boats to go 85. Unless you have another way to limit their speed, such as an engine size type of limit,
    they will build it to go over the breakout and then slow it down to 80 via rpm chips or props or throttle control. Therefore you will see some breakouts.
    Any bracket racing is going to force teams to run the edge, but we have found trophies aren't easy to win. The penalty for breaking out is your deterrent. No points, no prize money, no trophy, start in outside lane next
    race, all are examples of punishing teams for breaking out.
    Again, just my opinion
    Rich
    Class 6 OPA
    Rich Smith
    Cotnertrailers.com 611

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by sbracing View Post
    I think you underestimate the competitiveness of the teams. If you say the top speed in class is 80 then they will all build boats to go 85. Unless you have another way to limit their speed, such as an engine size type of limit,
    they will build it to go over the breakout and then slow it down to 80 via rpm chips or props or throttle control. Therefore you will see some breakouts.
    Any bracket racing is going to force teams to run the edge, but we have found trophies aren't easy to win. The penalty for breaking out is your deterrent. No points, no prize money, no trophy, start in outside lane next
    race, all are examples of punishing teams for breaking out.
    Again, just my opinion
    Rich
    Class 6 OPA
    We have a lot of fun doing it our way. And watching both pairs of crazy a$$ smith brothers
    Last edited by Whoz Your Daddy; 11-27-2010 at 05:38 PM.
    TEAM 531 WHOZ YOUR DADDY OFFSHORE RACING
    www.WHOZYOURDADDYRACING.com
    OPA THE JERSEY BOYZ

6. Collapse Details

I value any opinion that is why I put up the thread. The idea is to have a discussion.

I see it as no prize money no competition, the situation will not change. I we start offering prize money then we can build on the classes, too many classes the money gets diluted.

Sportsman is an entry level race. p6 equivilent. No entry fees / No prize money. Trophy only.

P3 - P1 money and trophy.

Px is for Exhibitionist. No entry no prize trophy only.

pat W

7. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    So you are saying Sportsman is different than the P Classes?

What would your sportsman rules be????

8. Collapse Details

Sportsman is one class fits all to see if you like racing. Two races get you to be eligible to move up to p1-p3.

pat W

9. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Ron P's Avatar
    Pat, I thought APBA was writing the rules so there would be a uniform set of rules for all APBA racing events.

10. Collapse Details

The organizations have to do what works for them. OPA has a formula that works well here. If your model works for you guys that is great. The point is to get more teams out on the race course.

Rich
    Rich Smith
    Cotnertrailers.com 611

11. Collapse Details

The way the rules looked to me is that everyone that had rules in the different orgs was covered. So on a given weekend if you show up to race, you could run on your own and get a trophy based on the class or org A<B<C you chose to run in under and whomever rules you felt like.

The rules for offshore are mess. I am looking at simplifying it.

OPA has a great set of rules. I don't understand the need for 5 mph difference between classes.

pat W

12. Collapse Details

OPA has a great set of rules. I don't understand the need for 5 mph difference between classes.

pat W
    The only classes with a 5 MPH difference is 5 and 6. OPA began class 6 for boats 26' and under because they have a tough time being competitive against 30' boats . We currently limit the HP of class 6 boats to around 500.
    Rich Smith
    Cotnertrailers.com 611

13. Collapse Details

We currently limit the HP of class 6 boats to around 500.

14. Collapse Details
    rules 2011
    Shifter look at the opa speeds and boat sizes they do work here are 2 examples look at our boat and sbracings boat they run right on the number but at power level they are at it would be tough to move up a class our boat has more power but easy to break out so we both have different styles of racing plus going 85 in a open cockpit 26 ft boat is a hand full think about how many old f-1 style boats you could draw out that go a tru 70mph and remember kilo speed and race speeds are totaly different most old f-1 race average speeds were in the high sixtys so starting down low at the 70 mph class is a good place to start for higher boat count and safty. just my 2 cents

15. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by p-f-e View Post
    Shifter look at the opa speeds and boat sizes they do work here are 2 examples look at our boat and sbracings boat they run right on the number but at power level they are at it would be tough to move up a class our boat has more power but easy to break out so we both have different styles of racing plus going 85 in a open cockpit 26 ft boat is a hand full think about how many old f-1 style boats you could draw out that go a tru 70mph and remember kilo speed and race speeds are totaly different most old f-1 race average speeds were in the high sixtys so starting down low at the 70 mph class is a good place to start for higher boat count and safty. just my 2 cents
    F1 boats ran top speed low to mid 80's in race conditions.

16. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    The only classes with a 5 MPH difference is 5 and 6. OPA began class 6 for boats 26' and under because they have a tough time being competitive against 30' boats . We currently limit the HP of class 6 boats to around 500.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TR View Post

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by p-f-e View Post
    I dont understand what the hell your saying ..... and I race with you!

18. Collapse Details

you dont need to understand u just need to turn when i say turn and dont try to think you might strain something or stroke out on me and im not going to stop because the sb racing brothers will try to ram us.
    Last edited by p-f-e; 11-30-2010 at 10:38 PM. Reason: none

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ron P View Post
    Pat - OPA used the following for bracket classes.

Class 6 - 70mph
    Class 5 - 75mph
    Class 4 - 85mph
    Class 3 - 95mph
    Class 2 has become Super Vee
    Class 1 - 115mph

Pull our rules at www.oparacing.org and take a look.

Class 5 is by far our largest fleet.
    Do you have other classes in OPA besides these?

pat W

20. Collapse Details

shifter thats your basic p classes pretty straight forward.