Thread: Plasma cutters

1. Collapse Details
    Plasma cutters
    I'm looking into buying one but dont really know all that much about them. Can they be used outside in relatively windy conditions? Can they be used on heavily rusted metal, and will they blow through layers of caked rust sandwitched between metal?

2. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I'm looking into buying one but dont really know all that much about them. Can they be used outside in relatively windy conditions? Can they be used on heavily rusted metal, and will they blow through layers of caked rust sandwitched between metal?
    Buddy of mine just sold his, they are great ...but only if u know how they work..LOL
    Its tricky, like welding u need practice !!!!!!!

3. Collapse Details

They work fine outside but you have to an have an air source, and they will cut rusted metal but it does tend to eat up the tips faster. I would say that they are definitely the eaisest method for an inexperienced person to cut metal with and they will cut anything. The thicker the metal is, the better you have to be to get a nice cut though. Don't bother with the 110 units, you won't be happy. I hate to say it, but for the money, the chinese units from ebay are pretty good for around the house. You can pick them up in $4-500 range compared to the $1600 I paid for my Hypertherm, and my cousin is a Hypertherm dealer so that was under cost.

4. Collapse Details

I'm pretty seasoned with oxy.acc. metal cutting, just not with plasma. I'm looking for a faster cleaner way to cut AR500 and similar hardened metals in an abusive outdoor (mining) environment.

5. Collapse Details

like night and day compaired to oxy/acet. the 110 units are good for 1/8" but anything more is pushing it,they will do it but if you are cutting heavier go with the 220 unit.The hypertherm is probably one of the best on the market.you usually get what you pay for.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I'm pretty seasoned with oxy.acc. metal cutting, just not with plasma. I'm looking for a faster cleaner way to cut AR500 and similar hardened metals in an abusive outdoor (mining) environment.
    If you are using it everyday (or even close to that) forget what I said about the china chit. Get a hypertherm, you won't regret it. Plasma doesen't care what your cutting as long as it is conductive.

7. Collapse Details

Ive been eying Miller, Thermal Dynamics, and Hypertherm. I've always been a Miller fan, but from the looks of the spec sheets Hypertherm is winning.

8. Collapse Details

I picked up a Hypertherm 1000 late last week, holy phuck is this thing cool! Compared to standard torches its like cheating, no need for a grinder, hell Im about to cross a bandsaw off my shopping list. I can use this thing to burn my signature in a plate of 1" steel neater than I can write it on paper.