Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Summit Racing carries a house-brand like that appears to be virtually identical. They're light and flimsy.

The issue you're going to run into on any of these seats is that they're made for performance, not comfort- in a car. They fit tight so you don't move around. They have little padding. Even the good one's.

The buckets in something like a Gladiator have very thick padding- the bottoms are 8 or 10 inches thick.

2. Collapse Details

In a sit down boat, you are going to become rather intimate with the seats... It's not something you want to skimp on. You can skimp on seats, but after the firsts rough water ride as your heading for the chiropractors, they will be sitting on the curb and you will be spending money. The cheap seats your looking at were designed and built for a highschool kid to stick in his neon, you know the one, with the giant wing on the back and the obnoxious coffee can size tailpipe......

Or let me say this in simple english.......

Cheap seats are a pain in the azz.....
    Last edited by phragle; 03-10-2010 at 06:05 PM.
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

3. Collapse Details

Rick, A good friend of mine had a Velocity and swapped the factory seats for something from Jegs or Summit. I'll find out and let you know.
    Jim

4. Collapse Details

Does the seat come off the bucket/frame? If so you can always add some high or medium density foam to the bottom of the seat if you need it.

5. Collapse Details

After thinking a few minutes fueled by some beer I like the way your boat is layed out currently. The three man sit down bolsters work well.
    I would add a bench seat with some room for passengers but have a "race hatch" handy for the hell runs. Look at the little Skaters.
    Thanks again for the ride.
    Jim

6. Collapse Details

these are expensive when new, but you can always find a used one on the side of the road. Duct tape can easily fix any tears. you could really kick back and relax while rafting up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 542_recliner.jpg  
    Parabellum FJ²B

7. Collapse Details

Are you sure you want to get buckets for the back too? I kind of like the idea of leaving the bench back there, but that is just me...

I'm just bouncing ideas around, but would it more cost effective to just have a bench seat in the back and then maybe have more $$ for the seats upfront?

8. Collapse Details

Talked to my friend with the Velocity. He used these frames and had an upholstery shop finish them out. He used 10 inches of foam in the seat.
    http://kirkeyracing.com/index.php?li...=Series16#nogo

9. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor glassdave's Avatar
    I hate to say this but these kind of seats are an accident waiting to happen in a 24/7. If you are going to be seated in any boat (especially an open one) you need the key hole style like from PPI. You get a small boat like that loose and they will act more like a catapult then anything but they will probably throw somewhere within the cockpit. You chine walk or high side a boat hard and these are gonna come right out from underneath you. With the key hole style and the proper placement of a foot rest you can wedge yourself in pretty good. I doubt these could take that kinda pressure. Just some more food for thought
    Throttles- Cleveland Construction/Traffic Light Racing 377 Talon cat

10. Collapse Details

I used these in 8 Boats they were from the Desert Racing trucks, the company was called Mastercraft a Chick in California owned it, They have a chrome-molly frame and a strap style suspension.

Slippery when wet. PODLESS TUNNEL www.cheetahcat.com ,Repairs, Modifications and Truing Cheap reliable speed.

11. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor glassdave's Avatar
    One other thing to add these type of seats only work if you can be belted in.
    Throttles- Cleveland Construction/Traffic Light Racing 377 Talon cat

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 1 View Post
    I used these in 8 Boats they were from the Desert Racing trucks, the company was called Mastercraft a Chick in California owned it, They have a chrome-molly frame and a strap style suspension.

Those are the beard/ mastercraft type seat that I had mentioned. They are true suspension seats ad built to take all the abuse you can dish out.
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    Those are the beard/ mastercraft type seat that I had mentioned. They are true suspension seats ad built to take all the abuse you can dish out.
    I am sorry just went back and read your post I did not see it ,Yes they are dam good seats and do not weigh much,we had a system with Quick pins, pull two pins and the seat came out of a channel it was captured in.
    Slippery when wet. PODLESS TUNNEL www.cheetahcat.com ,Repairs, Modifications and Truing Cheap reliable speed.

14. Collapse Details

Usually you get what you pay for but for that price it's not a huge gamble.

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=67&dateline=1262460498

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by glh View Post
    Usually you get what you pay for but for that price it's not a huge gamble.
    That was my thought, but now I am thinking everyone is right, either just recover the 3-man, and add a rear bench, or spend more on front buckets and add the rear bench, was trying to save weight along with $$.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JnT View Post
    After thinking a few minutes fueled by some beer I like the way your boat is layed out currently. The three man sit down bolsters work well.
    I would add a bench seat with some room for passengers but have a "race hatch" handy for the hell runs. Look at the little Skaters.
    Thanks again for the ride.
    Jim
    That is also a possibility.

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by glassdave View Post
    I hate to say this but these kind of seats are an accident waiting to happen in a 24/7. If you are going to be seated in any boat (especially an open one) you need the key hole style like from PPI. You get a small boat like that loose and they will act more like a catapult then anything but they will probably throw somewhere within the cockpit. You chine walk or high side a boat hard and these are gonna come right out from underneath you. With the key hole style and the proper placement of a foot rest you can wedge yourself in pretty good. I doubt these could take that kinda pressure. Just some more food for thought

Point taken, I DO like to get it loose

18. Collapse Details

These are true suspension seats made for jeeps. They would give you more comfort.

Powder coated steel frameReinforced nylon with military grade suspension cordsIntegrated full body support5-Point harness capabilityFits up to a 36-38" waistMust order in pairs $179 each

http://www.4wd.com/jeep-parts.aspx?c...d=362&plID=112

19. Collapse Details

That shifter placement is interesting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SHIFT.jpg  

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 2TR View Post
    That shifter placement is interesting.
    Bet it makes it easier to dock with your head sticking out of the canopy