Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 600sci View Post
    Why did you use heavy wood instead of lighter materials?
    For the center counsel I wanted it strong, seeing as I have a arm rest / step going in that myself and Gary will be using every time we climb in or out of the boat.

Same for the foot rest and seat base. I have some foam core material that is a "little" lighter but I did not want to buy a sheet just to save 5-8lbs in this area, maybe I should have ??? I hate second guessing. The Foam Core stuff I have will be getting used later in the project.

I did right down the weight of each part and it's not totally obscene, I think it's close to 30lbs added with what you see, but I'm going off memory so don't quote me. I think the Gaffrig Throttle/shifter system weights as much or more than what I installed.

2. Collapse Details

Thats cool Rick,

I am not knocking the wood, was just curious if you had considered weight. When I did my Pantera I used all wood also, sometimes the cost/weight savings of the foam just doesnt work out.

Rick

3. Collapse Details

rchevelle71 no problem with weight or asking..

The inside of the canopy was smoothed, body worked and had a nice layer of 1708 placed inside. One piece on each side than one large piece down the middle that ran up (or I guess that's down) the corners. This gave me a nice 2 layer wrap on the corners were I would want my strength during a flip or impact.

**The canopy is a little heavier than I estimated. I figured we would come in around 200lbs.. I'm thinking more like 250/280lbs.

I Did remove 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 inch's of material around the base when I trimmed it up removing 15lbs and once the windows are cut I'll be removing another 60/80lbs, but replacing them with 20-30lbs in Lexan.

** Camera battery died so I never got a picture of the last inside pc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Remove - 167.jpg   Remove - 168.jpg  
    Last edited by 2TR; 03-23-2011 at 11:19 AM.

4. Collapse Details

Once the seats were set in I found my center to cut my hatch.

** Back to how thick this is, I'm a little thicker than 1" and more than half of that is 1708 cloth!!

Gary and I weight both over 250 sat on the lip with our legs in the hatch hole and "bounced" with very little (next to no) Flex in the lid and that's without having the sides glassed in

Needless to say we over built it..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Remove - 171.jpg  

5. Collapse Details

Ready to cut the windows... I think (so far) I like the sharp / straight look instead of the curved look. The reason being is the boat has a lot of square lines and I feel the square look will match better with the hull.

But this is a one shot deal so once I make my decision there is no turning back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Remove - 172.jpg   Remove - 173.jpg  

6. Collapse Details

Looks great rick! You going to splash that thing this year? Bring it on down to SC. Bob

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 2TR View Post
    Ready to cut the windows... I think (so far) I like the sharp / straight look instead of the curved look. The reason being is the boat has a lot of square lines and I feel the square look will match better with the hull.

But this is a one shot deal so once I make my decision there is no turning back.
    I agree with your assessment; the sharper angles look better. You can overdo the whole curvy thing.
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

8. Collapse Details

With the help of GlassDave I took the line art he did a couple years back and drew the canopy on it to scale and shape.

This should help me with the window designs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boat Line art window ideas 1.jpg  

9. Collapse Details

Boat looks awesome.....and I love the new avatar !
    Parabellum FJ²B

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Boat looks awesome.....and I love the new avatar !
    Thanks! seems no one knows who Master Shake is.. lol

11. Collapse Details

The canopy has been cut down to match the contour of the boat perfect!

I also removed the front lift rings that will be "re-installed" at a later time. Doing this allowed me to move the complete canopy 5" more forward allowing better access in and out of the front seats.

Also my C.G. is really close to exact center now.. I'm sure I'll be off a little when I start to add more cloth, resin, hardware and what-not. But I'm much closer than before.

The rear hatch was cut for the people in the back seat..

Front windows cut and so were the sides.. It's much lighter than I thought. As it sits now I can lift it straight up without much trouble.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Remove - 174.jpg   Remove - 176.jpg   Remove - 177.jpg  

Remove - 178.jpg   Remove - 179.jpg  

12. Collapse Details

Very good job, congratulations.
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

13. Collapse Details

Sean brought this to my attention yesterday..

My CG was just in front of the "redline" on my drawing. With the weight being added equal (maybe less than) what was removed everything is about the same except I'm moving the throttle man forward "next to the driver"

Thats approx. 300lbs person, seat, brackets, throttle box..etc.. moved up 36-38" to the front of the boat.

Will this cause any issues? I have to figure its nothing worse than having someone sitting in the back seat of your 30 O/B spectre cat and moving to the front seat.. right?

The Cockpit area is a fixed point so that never moved, just the driver was moved over to allow room for the throttlemans seat to be placed next to it..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Remove - 180.jpg  

14. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Just drive from the back seat when you race.....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Just drive from the back seat when you race.....
    I'm not that tall..

16. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Extenders......

Like Mini Me......

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 2TR View Post
    Sean brought this to my attention yesterday..

My CG was just in front of the "redline" on my drawing. With the weight being added equal (maybe less than) what was removed everything is about the same except I'm moving the throttle man forward "next to the driver"

Thats approx. 300lbs person, seat, brackets, throttle box..etc.. moved up 36-38" to the front of the boat.

Will this cause any issues? I have to figure its nothing worse than having someone sitting in the back seat of your 30 O/B spectre cat and moving to the front seat.. right?

The Cockpit area is a fixed point so that never moved, just the driver was moved over to allow room for the throttlemans seat to be placed next to it..
    I am not an expert, but i would think it matters? On the other hand your new canopy looks heavyer in the back then the old F-16 and is maybe a wash in weight then?

18. Collapse Details

And who knows if it was truely correct before anyways as it ran in a few different configurations.

Would be tough to run with the new builds (DW, etc) so just get it out and enjoy the hell outta it! Will make for a killer weekend and poker run toy and still run p-class just fine. Look forward to seeing it, been awhile since I've been up there.

19. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Get ahold of Ryan or Kyler and find out about the best spot for CG in race trim.

Balance the boat on a round wood pole and find out how close you are with fake drivers in it as balance ballast. Then identify all moveable weight and balance the boat as it should be.

You should have enough to move to offset your movement of the existing weight if it is an issue. Otherwise use moveable seats and steering/throttles in race configuration vs pleasure configuration.

20. Collapse Details

Just lots of sanding and grinding going on.

I ground 8" out around the complete canopy and also everything on the inside. I made a SERIOUS mess in the shop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Remove - 181.jpg