Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Digital camera point & shoot
    I am looking for a small point and shoot digital camera for my wife. I have a Nikon D40x and love it but she thinks it to big to carry around and wants something that she can put in her pocket or purse. What are you guys using and what are the pros and cons. I was looking at the Nikon S70. Anyone using it?

2. Collapse Details

registered
    I have a Nikon Coolpix L5. It's been a good, rugged sidekick that I use to supplement my larger D70 when I don't want to lug it around. The L5 has 5X optical zoom (most P&S's usually only go 3X), 7.2Mpixels, takes TV-quality video, and is pocketable. Check it out.

3. Collapse Details

Thanks Cig. I'll look it up

4. Collapse Details

I used to use a point and shoot for 200 shots a day and went through them pretty regularly. The clarity of the Nikons is good, but they are a little fragile. The cameras are getting smaller and many are going with a metal case which seems to help a lot. Check for the doors you have to open all the time (battery and or USB port) and see what they look like. Some of the new cameras also use a dock so no opening and closing is necessary, this is good. Ideally find one that will charge in the dock, since having to charge it after you dock it is a pain. Don't worry about anything more than 6 mega pixel clarity since the optics won't really feed much more than that.

5. Collapse Details

Thanks for the info Ted

6. Collapse Details

We have a Panosonic DMZ-TZ4. Great little camera that takes the same quality pics as are big 1200 dollar camera. Hell my GF uses itto take pics for the newspaper she works for half the time if the big camera is not handy.

The Panasonic has a Lumix 10x zoom Lense which is the secret to its good quality pics.It has large screen and is about 2 by 4 and an inch thick.Girlfriend beats the crap out of it and it is never in the case , usaully buried in her purse or beating around somewhere.The battery has a small seperate plug in wall charger and the battery life is excellent.Video is spot on also .We have had it for 2 years and the only problem we have is the automatic lense cover does not shut all the way but i think it took one to many hits and thats is why that happened .

Cheap too like $150 bucks at Costco if they are on sale ,normally like 220 or 221.
    Last edited by tommymonza; 12-03-2009 at 11:59 AM.

7. Collapse Details

Big fan of the Panosonic DMZ-TZ line. I have the TZ5 which will take HD video w/ zoom.
    Whats with all this Skater Nation nonsense?
    $48,900.00

8. Collapse Details

I have a cannon sd1200is. it is 10mp and takes awesome pics. i have a 4gig card in it and can take pics all day and night and still have room left. my one peeve about it is that it does not have a "burst" mode for shooting action pics like water skiing or wakeboarding.

9. Collapse Details

We have the Olympus Stylus 1010. 10mp and 7 or 10x zoom. It does have a sport mode to take action shots and we are very happy with it.

10. Collapse Details

I did alot of research when I bought mine and ended up with the Canon SD870 IS. It has a wide angle lens, great reviews and I have been very happy with it.
    Warning: There will be no warning shots.

11. Collapse Details

These are both fantastic cameras and perfect for boaters:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...p?product=1448
    This camera is WATERPROOF up to 33 feet and DROP/SHOCK-PROOF from 6.5 feet.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...p?product=1446
    This camera is WATERPROOF up to 10 feet and DROP/SHOCK-PROOF from 5 feet.

I had their 720SW for several years and it worked great until it flew off the back of my truck at 35mph because some idiot (me) left it on the bumper. (It actually still works, but it's not waterproof any longer.

I now have the Stylus Tough 6000 10 MegaPixel and love it.
    Last edited by Sydwayz; 12-03-2009 at 03:50 PM.
    Brian Tillett; Active Thunder Factory Representative
    wwwActiveThunderBoats.com
    brian(a)activethunderboats.com

12. Collapse Details

Great thread...you beat me to it. The wife broke our camera on a winery trip a couple of weeks ago; so guess what her Christmas present is going to be!

What's everyone recommend for minimum memory, mega pix, zoom...and all that stuff?

13. Collapse Details

The more zoom the thicker the camera will be.

14. Collapse Details

they will all have two zoom ratings..optical and digital, you want to look for the optical rating...
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

15. Collapse Details

I have always had Canon Digital cameras, it was the first one I bought and I continue now because I am used to their interface. I can pick up any new one and start using it and feel comfortable with it in seconds.

That being said I just bought a canon SX200, it is a pocket sixed 12X optical zoom 12.1 megapixel camera. I love it. Being out on boats all the time I always wished for more zoom. Running with other boats at safe distances a 3X zoom camera just doesn't cut it.

This camera seems to be a great compromise between size and zoom. It is only slightly bigger than the Canon SD series, and it still a very pocket friendly size.
    2005 Formula 330ss

16. Collapse Details

I have a few Canons I use 2-3 times a week doing home appraisals. Make sure you hold the camera like you are taking shots.

I found my current Canon has the battery door on the bottom right corner. When I hold it with 1 hand and try to take a picture at an awkward angle, my thumb opens the battery door up and the camera slips out of my hand (I have to put on the lanyard). PITA since I take pics leaning over fences, around trees, etc.

17. Collapse Details

I have had a couple of sony point and shoot cameras and they have been awesome.

I currently have the dsc-w300. The part I like most is the "Easy" mode. if the wife sets it to easy it won't be messed up.

18. Collapse Details

Most of the Panasonic cameras have 6x optical zoom, in a chassis no larger than others. Family has three from the past three years and will get another this month. I prefer them to the Coolpix and Powershot models I've used. Simple, with good stabilization.

Think about batteries...AA or rechargeable. I like AA because there is no downtime.

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MarylandMark View Post
    I have a few Canons I use 2-3 times a week doing home appraisals. Make sure you hold the camera like you are taking shots.

I found my current Canon has the battery door on the bottom right corner. When I hold it with 1 hand and try to take a picture at an awkward angle, my thumb opens the battery door up and the camera slips out of my hand (I have to put on the lanyard). PITA since I take pics leaning over fences, around trees, etc.
    In other words it sucks as a voyeur cam but would otherwise be perfect for most people.
    Warning: There will be no warning shots.

20. Collapse Details

I have only killed one Coolpix so far. It rides in the door, on the floor, behind the seat, in the saddlebag, in my pocket, in the glovebox, in the boat bag and bounces off the ground regularly. When this one dies (it's about 3 yrs old now) I'll buy another.. Great pics, great video WITH sound, easy to use..

Same period of time I have killed 9 cel phones..