Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    News paper ad 1944
    A frind of mine was going through some old articles from the family tire shop and he came upon this one

Came from newspaper dated 1944

I thought it was pretty interesting

Think of the date, and the referance to or frinds in Japan

Yolu would never get away with that today
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails paper.jpg  

2. Collapse Details

Seems like ALOT of history has been forgotten or SQUASHED

3. Collapse Details

I've never forgotten the soldiers that lost their lives fighting the Japs.
    Didn't we drop a couple of bombs on them? What was in those bombs? Fertillizer???

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by boatme View Post
    You would never get away with that today
    You would never get away with dropping one or two atomic bombs on another country either.

I think that completely destroying two Japanese cities with atomic bombs more than makes up for them bombing a naval shipyard.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by clayinaustin View Post
    I think that completely destroying two Japanese cities with atomic bombs more than makes up for them bombing a naval shipyard.
    I beg to differ- they woke up the sleeping giant!

6. Collapse Details

You would never get away with dropping one or two atomic bombs on another country either.

This is why we shouldn't have rebuilt their industry. We were even.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

7. Collapse Details

If you read your history, it was estimated it would cost over one million allied lives if we had to invade Japan. Instead, we dropped a couple of bombs on them because they were showing no signs of surrender, even though the allies had dropped bombs all over Japan, turning their wooden cities into giant bonfires.

It took guts to give the order to drop the bombs. The US waited a couple days after dropping the first one, when they didn't surrender, Truman gave the order to drop the second. That did the trick. I'd have fried everyone of them. Have you ever read the attrocities they inflicted on prisoners, or during their rape of Manchuria? Made the Nazis look like humanatarians.
    Last edited by Ted; 11-30-2009 at 11:08 AM. Reason: No racial slurs permitted.

8. Collapse Details

That's a pretty cavalier attitude. I don't suppose YOU had any relatives at Pearl Harbor at the time, or you may think differently. You should take trip to the Pear Harbor Memorial.

9. Collapse Details

I never doubted the need to drop the atomic bombs on Japan. My dad served in the Pacific Fleet during WWII, so I know that those two atomic bombs probably saved his life.

However, posting old (possibly racist) newspaper ads from the 1940's don't serve any useful purpose.

Just my two-cents...

10. Collapse Details

However, posting old (possibly racist) newspaper ads from the 1940's don't serve any useful purpose.

Just my two-cents...
    I found it more interesting than the average claymate thread. Especially lately, since the quality drop.

Just my two cents.

Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

11. Collapse Details

Banana Bend, Texas 29 50 49.84N, 95 05 17.46W
    Quote Originally Posted by rschap1 View Post
    Seems like ALOT of history has been forgotten or SQUASHED
    Like the reason I dont buy Fords.
    Mark
    Everybody should believe in something; I believe I'll have another drink.

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wobble View Post
    Like the reason I dont buy Fords.
    You have been squashed but not forgotten.

13. Collapse Details

Visit that shipyard and see if you feel the same after words.

If you do, you need some help......

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sea-Dated View Post
    Visit that shipyard and see if you feel the same after words.

If you do, you need some help......
    I have been to Hawaii, and I have visited the Arizona. I was an Army officer for four years. I understand the tragic loss of life and the death of thousands of military personel during the surprise attach on Pearl Harbor.

I also understand the need (at the time) to drop two atomic bombs on two Japanese cities and kill hundreds of thousands of citizens.

My dad served in the Pacific Fleet in WWII. You will not find anyone more patrotic than me.

However, I still feel that dropping two atomic bombs on two cities more than makes up for dropping hundreds of non-atomic bombs on a naval base.

Just imagine the damage that one atomic bomb would do to New York City. It would be much much worse than two jumbo jets flying into the World trade Center.

15. Collapse Details

War is war..yes war sucks... but the entire point of war is to crush, kill and destroy your adversary. thats how it has been since the beginning of time. Today we don't fight wars.. we do surgical strikes.. we are still in Iraq and Afghanistan.. had we fought war like we used too.. we would have gone in and carpet bombed the place from one end to the other, our troops would be home and the rest of the world would once again realize that if you poke us with a stick, we beat you severely about the head with a baseball bat. That is called a deterrent. Thats called being a superpower. Had we done that, and Bin Laden still escaped to Pakistan, would they still shelter him when we said " his head on a silver platter in 24 hours or Pakistan ceases to exist" Or would the Paki's said "OH CHIT...Here he is"
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

16. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    War is war..yes war sucks... but the entire point of war is to crush, kill and destroy your adversary. thats how it has been since the beginning of time. Today we don't fight wars.. we do surgical strikes.. we are still in Iraq and Afghanistan.. had we fought war like we used too.. we would have gone in and carpet bombed the place from one end to the other, our troops would be home and the rest of the world would once again realize that if you poke us with a stick, we beat you severely about the head with a baseball bat. That is called a deterrent. Thats called being a superpower. Had we done that, and Bin Laden still escaped to Pakistan, would they still shelter him when we said " his head on a silver platter in 24 hours or Pakistan ceases to exist" Or would the Paki's said "OH CHIT...Here he is"
    Would have made a great Dune Buggy track if we did it that way

17. Collapse Details

Just imagine the damage that one atomic bomb would do to New York City. It would be much much worse than two jumbo jets flying into the World trade Center.
    In both your examples (WTC & Pearl Harbor) the BIG difference is we were at war when we attacked; we weren't at war when we were attacked. We were/are reacting to being attacked and now at war, if they would have never attacked us we wouldn't have been at war (well at least not over these 2 reasons in this example).

BIG, BIG difference

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    IMHO, that would have been a huge mistake. Killing millions of poor dirt farmers in an attempt to strike back at a few thousand whack jobs would have only served as a rally call for Islamic extremists from around the world to focus all their energy on striking the PUBLIC in the US as retribution.
    The Saudis would have probably turned off the oil supply to your country as well. They are staunch Muslim and "carpet bombing" several million civilians who all just happen to be Muslim would have put some serious internal pressure on their ruler to say FU to the US.

Threatening Pakistan would have probably ended up in Isreal being targeted with Nukes as well. Remember, they are nuke capable and somewhat crazy.
    You give them 24 hrs warning and that leaves 23 after Isreal disappears.

The Big Stick threat of nukes only works when the other side doesn't have any. Thats why Japan surrendered.

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MarylandMark View Post
    In both your examples (WTC & Pearl Harbor) the BIG difference is we were at war when we attacked; we weren't at war when we were attacked. We were/are reacting to being attacked and now at war, if they would have never attacked us we wouldn't have been at war (well at least not over these 2 reasons in this example).

BIG, BIG difference
    Well said.

20. Collapse Details

Appleton, Wisconsin. Where we have 2 seasons... winter and road construction

________