Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Driod ERIS iPhone killer
    Went by the Verizon store today...

The Droid ERIS by HTC (not Motorola) looks promising! and is only $99!!

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...edPhoneId=5070

tap keyboard, no flip down/out keyboard like the Motorola Droid (not a feature I want- adds weight/size and I prefer tap)
    Camera better than iPhone- 5M
    Video- iPhone has none
    App store with free & paid- not as many offerings as iPhones but I'm kind of over most apps anyway
    8G
    GPS- use it daily on my iPhone

Few other goodies. I didn't really listen to the sales pitch- for me it is all about finding a phone

2. Collapse Details

Appleton, Wisconsin. Where we have 2 seasons... winter and road construction
    Never heard of HTC. I'd be worried about reliability.
    ________

3. Collapse Details

They make handsets for most carriers- AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, Alltell, T-Mobile, US Cellular. http://www.htc.com/us/product.aspx

Handling it- didn't seem any cheaper than any thing else out there. 1 year warranty I think and Verizon offers insurance for like $8/month with $90 co-pay if any thign goes wrong with it. I don't get insurance- cheaper for me in the long run to get a new phone vs pay the insurance (most of my phones fall off the dock!).

Complaints seem to be about the battery life but IMHO most of that is just people not realizing how to use a smartphone. I can't make it through a day with my iPhone without plugging it in- just a way of life.

Accelerometer was a little slow when turning it sideways to get the bigger keyboard.

4. Collapse Details

iPhone has video now.
    A thong is like a barbed wire fence, it protects the property but doesn't ruin the scenery.

5. Collapse Details

I have a Samsung Jack. It has WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth, Full Keyboard, Windows Mobile 6.5, plus it's a phone.

With wmwifirouter my phone becomes a WiFi Hotspot.

I plan to buy a iPod Touch and load it with my iTunes music and all the iPhone apps I want. I can use the WiFi in the iPod Touch to connect to the WiFi Hotspot in my Samsing Jack to get to the internet, i.e. Pandora, etc.

Having a separate phone and "iPhone app" iPod works best for me.

P.S. I order a "refurb" Samsung Jack off the AT&T site. It was free. Not free with rebate. Free!
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

6. Collapse Details

You are correct Buck- I only have the 3G, not the 3GS. I can't make a phone call most of my day on the AT&T network so didn't upgrade when that came out and have been searching for a "close to an iPhone" from another carrier for like 6 months now. This ERIS is the only one that has even come close enough for me to go to the store over. Good catch and thanks for pointing the video out!

7. Collapse Details

I saw you got that one Clay- I'm not a fan of the keyboard. My 1st and only smartphones have been iPhones and got use to how they work and wanted some thing as close as I could get to it.

I'd love to stay with AT&T to stick with the iPhone but they've told me they have no plans to upgrade the service in my area so kind SOL.

8. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Mark - who did you talk to at AT&T? I'd like to do a little research on your problem areas. Can you send me a PM with the particulars?

In case you're wondering, I work for AT&T on the Mobility side in Network Operations.
    Boat-less...

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Griswald View Post
    Mark - who did you talk to at AT&T? I'd like to do a little research on your problem areas. Can you send me a PM with the particulars?

In case you're wondering, I work for AT&T on the Mobility side in Network Operations.
    Yep- now I remember you work there. I just sent you an email... Thanks for looking out!!

10. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor glassdave's Avatar
    How big is that size wise compared to the iPhone. I dont really need any more then my old Razr Vegas offers but if it was smaller than the iPhone I'd consider it. Dosent have to be as compact as a Razr but the IPhone is just more then i want to cary.
    Throttles- Cleveland Construction/Traffic Light Racing 377 Talon cat

11. Collapse Details

ERIS is slightly shorter, skinnier and lighter but a little thicker:

iPhone 3GS= 4.5H x 2.4W x .43Depth and 4.8oz
    ERIS = 4.45H x 2.19W x .52D and 4.43oz

ERIS felt smaller if that helps but not by much as the numbers show. The not as wide part helps in my hand more than the height or thickness but I'm already use to lugging an iPhone around which took some getting use to after having a mere mortal phone (Razr prior to iPhone). Life changes once you get a smartphone (vs Razr). I couldn't live without mine and prior to having one I didn't think I'd use a smartphone for any thing but talking which is why I never had one. Knowing how useful it is now, I would have had one 5 years ago.

12. Collapse Details

ok let me get this stright i thought you worked for version Mark

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by mikes280 View Post
    ok let me get this stright i thought you worked for version Mark
    Yea, that..

14. Collapse Details

ok so why would you use a at&t phone ?

15. Collapse Details

i am looking also and i like what i see in the android phones

16. Collapse Details

LOL- but yes, I do work for Verizon.

I've had my same telephone number since 1989; 10th grade. They were Cellular One, then Cell One, then Cingular and then AT&T. I've been pretty hard on phones or they've ended up in the drink so I never made it long enough to get out from under a contract so I always stuck with AT&T. My options were to go to Verizon and pay both bills until I was out of my AT&T contract or get a discount on another AT&T phone. So ever since you could take your number with you, the cheaper route has always been just get another AT&T phone vs switching to Verizon. Well in the last 6-9 months my AT&T service has degraded to the point I have to get a new carrier.

As far as the money- I get 20% off Verizon being an employee or 15% off AT&T being in the CWA/Comm. Workers of America union. AT&T plans are cheaper but get more off Verizon so it all works out about the same per month; no discount on actual phone from either.

As far as supporting the company I work for; I know how screwed up we are so wanted some thing more reliable.. LOL!

17. Collapse Details

well i am looking a sprint as i have nextel now but need more out of the phone and sprint has some nice plains now also my wife works for state gov so i get the 20% also

18. Collapse Details

what do you thank of the android op system from google

19. Collapse Details

Appleton, Wisconsin. Where we have 2 seasons... winter and road construction
    Quote Originally Posted by MarylandMark View Post
    As far as supporting the company I work for; I know how screwed up we are so wanted some thing more reliable.. LOL!
    Note to self.......Avoid Verizon
    ________

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Note to self.......Avoid Verizon
    and how do you think I have time to goof off on SOS all the time?

Clark- email sent. I had your email already- sorry, been working the last 8ish days straight. The term working used lightly of course