Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    The Re-Birth of a Scout
    Well, I havent posted much on my on going project, so here it goes....

Intro:
    After graduating school, my fiance got a job offer in Wisconsin. She was originally was working in NYC while I finished of my schooling in Cleveland. We both decided WI would be a good place since she had an offer and there was allot of industry for me to find work. I knew it would be tough leaving my family, Pop's, and the Top Gun. Yes, the cig is not exactly mine. My job was to drive it and keep it running. I did all the work on it except for writing the checks. How lucky was I!! On the weekends I must have looked like the biggest punk kid. That was funny considering on the weekdays I was driving back and forth to school in my rusted out Suzuki Samurai..... Since I payed for my college through co-oping, we thought to name the boat "College Tuition".... That never happend.

After moving up to WI and deciding on what Job offer to take, I found a 21" Apache Scout on Ebay.... I fell In love. I always knew I wanted one. Especially one with an outboard. I felt an outboard was best for being up North. No major winterization needed. This meant boating almost all year was an option. It just depended on how crazy one wanted to be. Funny thing, last weekend up here it was a high of 59°F. Yes, I would have went out. Ang agreed and so we bought it site unseen. We were totaly excited. My buddy lived an hour away in Jax, ItsPeanut picked it, made the transaction, and towed it up to Cleveland for me.

2. Collapse Details

--Continued--
    Here was the Ebay description....
    Vehicle Description
    Apache 21’
    Classic offshore deep-vee performance hull design and profile, hand built by Apache Powerboats on Powerboat Row in North Miami Beach Florida, a true legend in the industry!
    Details
    Hull
    21’ Apache - hand lay up fiberglass, built in 1991, original gel coat, never bottom painted, always dry stored.
    Motor
    Mercury Offshore 200 HP - also 1991 w/ approx 218 HRS. 7 reed induction with 20 minutes on recent major service. Stainless Steel ‘thruster‘ prop.
    Trailer
    Continental double axle, galvanized, new tires and bearings.
    Features
    • White original gel coat.
    • Custom one off factory original Imron graphics.
    • Custom flush mount cleats and running lights.
    • Custom teal and purple interior upholstery done by Cigarette factory crew.
    • Gaffrig performance instruments in custom color anodized bezels.
    • Hynautic steering.
    • Starboard bases for bucket / bolster seats.
    • Sony marine am/fm cassette stereo.
    • Dual Batteries (new) with master switch.
    • Bilge pump.
    • Full hull cover and separate snap in cockpit cover.
    • Docking lines and dock bumpers.
    • Under deck cuddy with stowage well and forward anchor locker.
    • Built-in cooler.
    • Professionally detailed hull and interior.
    • Serviced and maintained by certified Mercury Racing mechanic.
    Well maintained and in excellent condition, a boat of exceptional design and quality construction. Help this incredibly unique piece of offshore powerboat history find a great home.
    This boat has been valued at more than $20,000 by its last marine survey!!! Take advantage of this great deal from an extremely motivated seller!
    YOU WILL NOT FIND A BOAT LIKE THIS ANYWHERE -- APACHE FOUNDER BOB SACCENTI ESTIMATES THAT FEWER THAN 60 OF THESE SCOUTS WERE MADE IN THE EARLY 1990s, AND EACH WAS COMPLETELY ONE-OF-A-KIND!
    This boat is as at home on the lakes as it is in the ocean -- a truly versatile trailer boat!
    Good luck and happy bidding! Please contact seller with any questions prior to submitting an offer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails c41b_3.jpg   d9f1_3.jpg   d076_3.jpg  

Last edited by J-Bonz; 11-25-2009 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Had to reboot --> Vista

3. Collapse Details

Speaking with the owner before I purchased, He said the boat was Mint!! He just replaced the water pump, carbs rebuilt, and 2 new batteries installed so the new owner was good to go..... I know this is when everybody and myself would say "Should have gotten a Survyer". I agree, I just couldnt justify spending the money on that and a plane ticket down to check it out considering the agreed upon selling price.

Well, I got the boat and this is what I found.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2190.jpg   IMG_2192.jpg   IMG_2193.jpg  

Last edited by J-Bonz; 11-25-2009 at 02:57 AM.

4. Collapse Details

Ok, So it must be sand & dirt from the storing a dirty Anchor............ NOPE!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2195.jpg   IMG_2196.jpg   IMG_2199.jpg  

5. Collapse Details

I eat, sleep, drink, read everything to do with boats since I was 5 years old. I even worked at a local marine store and moved my way up from a B.N. to the main mechanics assitent before I went to school for my engineering degree. For my fellow Notherners including myself, This boat was an all you can eat crab legs night for Termites. I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE, along with others, EVER HEARD OF THIS.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2202.jpg   IMG_2203.jpg   IMG_2209.jpg  

6. Collapse Details

FYI, I dont believe the seller is on the forums nor do I care. The only resolution that was made was by me!! Do I fix it or sell it in the condition it is.... I knew I could not sell it. I could not scew anyone over intentionally..... I dont have that in my heart.. No matter of the circumstances. I decided on my only other alternative... FIX IT. Unfortunately my better half did not understand the whole story nor did I want to explain it to her. We enjoyed using the boat 3 times on the river in Milwaukee before I started to slowly strip the boat down.... Yes we wore life jackets the whole time and took it very easy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Milwaukee 7-27-2008 020.jpg   Milwaukee 7-27-2008 023.jpg   Milwaukee 7-27-2008 024.jpg  

7. Collapse Details

So it brings me to a good year ago, pondering on my choices.... I called various glass guys to get some estimates......... over the phone... Yes, I am not that much of an idiot but I had to start somewhere. How can anyone give an estimate on replacing all the wood on a boat over the phone, now thats funny. Luckly they were all nice and gave me a guarantied starting price... After hearing the quotes I contemplated scuttling it. The prices to fix compared to spent was to close..... But, I knew I couldnt scuttle it!! He**, I would have bought the boat in the condition it was if i got a better price knowingly the work that needed to be done. I love this stuff to much to see any great high perf boat get chopped up and sent to the top of the hill in a dumpster..

(By no means am I looking for a pitty party... This is where I was last year this time and just wanted to give some preface to the story of how I got to where I am.. )
    So the work began starting to strip the boat....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6-16-08 006.jpg   6-16-08 007.jpg   6-16-08 009.jpg  

8. Collapse Details

--Continued--
    Its late and I will continue in the AM, Gotta get ready for the trek back to OH for Turkey day....
    Jr.

9. Collapse Details

As you already know Jr it will be all worth it when it's done.

Look forward to seeing it at Kelley's!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and Ang.
    Queen of Bammin'

10. Collapse Details

Talk to a local pest control guy and see if they will treat your hull or sell you some Termidor to kill the termites. Your hull is super thick, cored with plywood if its like mine.
    I would assess the damage and remove what wood is damaged and then shoot epoxy into the voids. These hulls are built like a tank to begin with so after the repairs I would not sweat it a bit.
    Consult a pro for sure but the little Apaches are way overbuilt for strength.
    Last edited by JnT; 11-25-2009 at 11:20 PM.

11. Collapse Details

Wow, I have never heard of Termites in a boat.

12. Collapse Details

How long after you got it did you find the damage?

13. Collapse Details

I am waiting for the update, this is an awesome thread! What kind of speed is the boat running?

14. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Bonz View Post
    I eat, sleep, drink, read everything to do with boats since I was 5 years old. I even worked at a local marine store and moved my way up from a B.N. to the main mechanics assitent before I went to school for my engineering degree. For my fellow Notherners including myself, This boat was an all you can eat crab legs night for Termites. I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE, along with others, EVER HEARD OF THIS.....
    Wooden boats in FL,,,TERMITES,,,very comon !!!!!!!

U know i would of done it all for u by now !!!! ?????

15. Collapse Details

The termites you have are land termites and got in the boat while at storage I´d say.

I´ve lived up with wooden boats all my life, did a 32 footer sailboats deck with my dad back in the day too ( after I split the deck and mast in a storm when a shroud let go)
    There´s "termites" (clams) in the water too and especially in the tropics but thats a thing of the past mainly from the wooden sailship years that wood in the ships got eaten up.
    With all the varnish and bottom paints if taken care a wooden boat is not a problem like a rotten plank isn´t either.

http://www.susanscott.net/OceanWatch2000/jun05-00.html
    Offshore Racing wasn´t designed to be a spectator sport, it's for people or companies with's lots of money to push the envelope of endurance technology and hopefully put a trophy on a mantle. It's man vs the elements, not like boats with like engines running in circles.

16. Collapse Details

Well,
    Before I go any Further, I want to thank the following people that have greatly helped me thus far.....

1. The First has to be "GlassDave"!! He has awnsered every Question I had no matter where he was!! He took my call when he was at his marina party, In NYC for SBI, and even when he was driving to Maryland for a race. Without him I would still be reading the WestSystems book.....

2. Second is my buddy "ItsPeanut" who pushed me to work on it any given free time I have! He knew I could do it but also saw how much work it needed / still needs. All I can hear him say is "Dude, Your never going to get it done be next summer.... "

3. Third, My pops who never got tired of hearing about it and always wanted updates. He even came up and helped me bond a stringer together. I really have him to thank getting into this mess.... He got me started in the boating stuff when I was young enough to sit on his lap and drive...

4. Finally, the most important person is my fiance, Ang!! She is ok with all the hours I put in on it and cant wait to finally get back out on it. She is my Only / Main Glass Girl. She has helped out more than she can understand. She has helped me glass in all the wood so far!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scan0001.jpg   8-6-2009 017.jpg  

17. Collapse Details

So, With every thing stripped out of the boat except for the dash components, it was time to take out the removable floor over the gas tank....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 11-5-2008 Boat 001.jpg   11-5-2008 Boat 002.jpg   11-5-2008 Boat 003.jpg  

18. Collapse Details

There was a "cabin" floor that I had to cut out with it. That must have not been put in from Bobby S. It seamed to me to be a Hack job. I was not impressed with that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 11-5-2008 Boat 005.jpg   11-5-2008 Boat 006.jpg   11-5-2008 Boat 007.jpg  

19. Collapse Details

Looking through all the pics, one can see all the saw dust and mud trails every were!! I couldnt wait till the day I did not see any of that!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 11-5-2008 Boat 008.jpg   11-5-2008 Boat 009.jpg   11-5-2008 Boat 010.jpg  

20. Collapse Details

Funny thing is at this point, I had the boat stored inside in a 10' x 30' Storage unit. At that time I was looking for a shop to rent to rent out. I just knew I could not do what needed to be done by working out of the storage unit with only cordless tools.... But, at the time that was the only option I had at the moment. I didnt know anyone up here nor could I find a place since we live out in a rural area. The closest thing I coud find was a shop with electricity only for $550 a month........... I almost had a heart attack!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 11-5-2008 Boat 015.jpg   11-5-2008 Boat 016.jpg   11-5-2008 Boat 017.jpg