Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Registered
    I've got one for sale in Stuart, Florida. Was a twin TRS boat in Black and White but looks like it was Light Blue originally. Sammy James who built these looked it over and said it's one of the old Bertram race boats he built for Bertram. Only one I've seen. Call with any questions (772) 285-2266 cadillacboats@me.com Thanks, Cadillac McDaniel
    P.S. Odell has seen this one and also says it's one of the old race boats :-)
    Last edited by cadillacboats@me.com; 01-07-2010 at 01:42 AM.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by cadillacboats@me.com View Post
    I've got one for sale in Stuart, Florida. Was a twin TRS boat in Black and White but looks like it was Light Blue originally. Sammy James who built these looked it over and said it's one of the old Bertram race boats he built for Bertram. Only one I've seen. Call with any questions (772) 285-2266 cadillacboats@me.com Thanks, Cadillac McDaniel
    P.S. Odell has seen this one and also says it's one of the old race boats :-)
    Have you seen the third photo in my post #81 in page 4? page 5 sorry
    From your description it could be that.
    Last edited by Black Tornado; 01-07-2010 at 04:10 PM.

3. Collapse Details

Hi Caddy

Happy new year

Pete

4. Collapse Details

Marco - Here are two photos of Cadillac's boat at OFF2009 - Steve Sirois

5. Collapse Details

Thanks Steve!!!
    Clearly it is not the same boat to which I refferred (that I posted in the page #5).
    But how much errors in those writings in the side stern!!!
    It is not of the 1965. Still that 31' in 1965 they had not been designed.
    And it absolutely is not the "Moppie."
    And then it is well to see has the transom of 'second generation' (you see my post #118 and #120) probably built beginning from 1968 to lodge the Speedmasters #3.
    It could be of the Mona Lou of the Bahamas 500 of 1969 or the Maelstrom of Lecarreaux of the 1970.
    Last edited by Black Tornado; 01-07-2010 at 04:47 PM.

6. Collapse Details

Marco - I concur with your remarks! I doubt that Cadillac's boat was part of the "Kiekhaefer Navy", but I strongly suspect that it was a race boat and would be a great restoration opportunity for someone. As to the yellow #90 boat with the name "Mona Lou" on it.....I suspect that the answer is associated with MEL RIGGS. I talked with Jim Hauser yesterday and neither of us can remember more that two 31' Bertrams in the "K Navy". Both of them were yellow. Bill ran one of them as #90 twin engine Sternwinder which eventually ended up with Balestreiri. John Bakos ran the other as #80 Rhonda Lee triple 327's. Neither of us remember Odell ever racing either of those two boats. Time has a way of fogging memories, but I suspect that Mel may have run the #90 boat with "Mona Lou" name on it. I have to caveat this by saying I was away from the Lake alot during the 1969-1970 timeframe. From mid-1970 on I was completely gone. I definately believe the answers will surface when you get response from Odell, Johnny, Mel or Sammy. I also believe John Stenback and/or Phil Schenk will have good info. - Steve

7. Collapse Details
    waiting an answer from Odell and Bakos
    Quote Originally Posted by seeroy View Post
    .....I suspect that Mel may have run the #90 boat with "Mona Lou" name on it. - Steve
    Steve,if you referred to Mel Riggs that drive the #90 Mona Lou in a 1967 race I don't believe that is correct. Again I remain of the opinion that is your brother Bill on that boat.
    However those 1967 (Sternwinder and #90 Mona Lou) boats cannot be the same Mona Lou in the Bahamas 500 of 1969 and that Mel Riggs brought to the second place. That because they have different transom.(see the pics)
    About the 31' of Cadillac McDaniels he writes that it could be light blue in origin. I have only a photo in b/w of the Maelstrom but it could be just in light blue....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails yellowtor1resizlr9a1.JPG   MonaLou69a.jpg   Maelstrom70resiz.JPG  

8. Collapse Details

Sorry,that is the right comparison #90 Mona Lou 1967-#70 Mona Lou 1969.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MonaLou67.JPG   MonaLou69a.jpg  

9. Collapse Details

Marco - I just talked with Odell on the phone for 30minutes. New information....He DID race a 31' Bertram twice. I recorded our conversation and will sort out the details later. Odell has an excellent memory, but some of the information is a little foggy regarding dates. He ran one in the Dec 1968 Hurricane Classic (St Pete). He also ran one in a Sam Griffith race (Probably Palm beach to Freeport and back. Probably 1968.) He said it is possible that one of those races was in the #90 boat (previously Bill's boat) with Mona Lou name. The other race was in a red boat that eventually went to Bill Wishnick. He also said that Mel Riggs ran yellow boat in winning Bahama 500 (1969?) with Mona Lou name.. In looking at the photos you have posted, one has Mona Lou on the transom while the other had Mona Lou on the side (due to transom configuration?). Odell was quite certain that Bill never ran with Mona Lou name on boat. Now I am thinking that there were TWO different twin engine yellow 31's that carried the Mona Lou name. One would have been with Odell driving and Mel hanging on. The other would have been with Mel driving and ?? hanging on. I know this is somewhat confusing, but Odell has newspaper atricles that may help clear things up. The bottom line is that it looks like the "Kiekhaefer Navy" might have actually had THREE yellow boats (Two twins and one triple) and ONE red boat. It is also possible that the triple engine boat was rerigged either from or to twin engine configuration. In one Bahama 500 (after 1969), Bill road with Doug Silvera in one of the yellow boats to win that race. OK, my brain is fried for awhile. I will try to sort things out later by listiening to the recording and put things into a logical sequence. By the way...Odell stated that he (Mona Lou) did get your e-mail, but he is not computer literate, so I am guessing you may not get a response. I will continue to try to help you sort this dilemma out. Best Regards - Steve

10. Collapse Details

Steve you have had the best idea to call Odell and thanks for the aid that you are doing in order to resolve the node of the 31' Bertram Mona Lou.
    - Odell confirm to have drove the red Mona Lou in a single race (Hurricane Classic) according also to Graham (Flying Fish).
    -He asserts that Bill has not never drove a boat that carried the name Mona Lou.
    -That probably he has drove a 31' yellow with the name Mona Lou but with the #90.
    And this is already a good attended point in that you can put order re-listening the long telephone call and thus to add other data.
    If truly Odell drove a 31' yellow with the #90 this could also be the former "Sternwinder" that for a contest has changed name. Otherwise those would not be explained the #90 if existed a fourth 31' destined to Odell besides that red one in the Kiekhaefer Navy.
    I must remember that the 31' red it came in 1968 when in Bertram were modified the transoms of the new boats.
    The 31' in second place in the '500 of the 1969 with Riggs at the wheel probably was a new one for Odell in 1969 but it didn't become the fouth 31' because the Kiekhaefer Navy was disbanded at the end of 1968(In fact the boat brings in the bow the writing MerCruiser Stern Drives of the new-born team without the Boss Carl).
    About the Bill-Silvera couple on an other yellow hull in order to win a Bahamas 500 was in 1971 but was in the new 36' Cigarette " Starduster".
    Silvera won also the '500 of 1970 on another yellow 31' Bertram with the outboards,the "Quicksilver", but according to Searace, with Doug in the cockpit there was only him nephew Neville Garcia.
    Waiting anothers your news thanks a lot Steve for your efforts to solve this cases.
    Last edited by Black Tornado; 01-08-2010 at 09:05 PM.

11. Collapse Details
    reproposing the list
    race # - boat name - driver - engines -race year - notes

-8/77 - My Moppie - R. Bertram -Mercruiser 2x450 -1967-68-69 - drives shaft

-15/52 -Master Moppie -P.Rittmaster -H&M Ford 2x550 - 1967-68 - drives shaft

-80 -Ronda Lee II -J.Bakos/O.Lewis-Mercruiser 3x225 - 1967-68 -stern driv. SM#2

-90 -Sternwinder -W.Sirois -Mercruiser 2x450 -1967-68 -stern drives SM#2

-43 -Zippè -M.Fortney -H&M Ford 2x500 -1967-? -drives shaft?

-18 - Patty Lou -R.Rautbord - ? -1967-? -drives shaft?

-90 -Mona Lou -O.Lewis? -Mercruiser 2x450? -1967-? -stern drives SM#2 -ex Sternwinder?

-70 -Mona Lou -O.Lewis -Mercruiser 2x450 -1968 -stern drives SM#3 - red version

-90/4 -Yellow Tornado -V.Balestrieri/D.Pruett -Mercruiser 2x450 -1968 -stern drives ex Sternwinder

-23 -Boss O'Nova -W.Wishnick -Mercruiser 2x475 -1969-70-71 -stern drives ex Mona Lou red

-53 -American Moppie-P.Rittmaster-Mercruiser 2x475 -1969 -stern drives

-70 -Mona Lou -M.Riggs -Mercruiser 2x475 -1969 -stern drives

-4/89 -Red Tornado -V.Balestrieri/F.Cosentino-Mercruiser 2x475-1969-70 -stern drives SM#3

-89 -White Tornado -F.Cosentino -Mercruiser 2x475 -1969 -stern drives SM#3

-18 -Fino -R.Rautbord -Mercruiser 2x475 -1969?-70-71? -stern drives ex 1969 Mona Lou?

-69 -Mister Charly -R.Bonelli -Mercruiser 2x475 -1970 -stern drives ex American Moppie

-303 -Quicksilver -D.Silvera -Mercury 4x140 -1970-71 -outboards

-8 -Maelstrom -E.Lecarreaux -Mercruiser 2x475 -1970 -stern drives

-123 -American Moppie-T.Powell -Mercruiser 2x500 -1971 -drives shaft? ex Master Moppie

-123 -Canadian Moppie-T.Powell -Mercruiser 2x500 -1972 -drives s.? ex 1971 American Moppie

-5 -WD40 -O.Trost -Mercruiser 2x450 -1972 -stern drives ex Boss O'Nova

-65 -Moppie -F.Barker -Mercruiser 2x500 -1973 -drives shaft? ex Canadian Moppie

-S-3 -Mongoose -B.Cook -Mercruiser 2x500 -1974-75 -stern drives? ex Zippè?

-009 -McQeen Jeans -R.Kelly -Ford Sabre 2x300 -1978-79 -ex Moppie

-12 are the hulls built surely(My Moppie-Master Moppie-Ronda Lee II-Sternwinder-Zippè-Patty Lou-red Mona Lou-American Moppie-1969 yellow Mona Lou-Red or White Tornado-Quicksilver-Maelstrom)

-5 boats of uncertain origins(1967 yellow Mona Lou-Red or White Tornado-Fino-Mongoose)

-20 race victories(7 Boss O'Nova-4 Red Tornado-2 Sternwinder+1 Yellow Tornado-1 Zippè-1 Mona Lou red-1 American Moppie 1969-1 White Tornado-1 Quicksilver-1 Mongoose)

-5 hulls still exist(3 in USA-My Moppie?-Mongoose-? 1 probably in GB McQueen Jeans-1 in Italy ex Mister Charlie)
    Last edited by Black Tornado; 01-08-2010 at 08:47 PM.

12. Collapse Details

More Info - Marco - I just watched "Run Sunward" VERY CLOSELY...At 17:15 the narrator, John Healey (Narration written by John Crouse), talks about Bill while clearly the boat, seen from the left side, is #90 with Mona Lou on the transom. Looking carefully at the driver you will notice that he is wearing SHORT SLEEVES. At about 18:15 the boat (#90/Mona Lou) is shown again from the left side and once again driver has SHORT SLEEVES. A second later the picture switches to a right side close up view. You cannot see either the boat number or name...BUT the driver is wearing a LONG SLEEVE jacket. Also, by helmet design and the fact that he was my brother, I am certain that it is Bill. I do not believe the earlier SHORT SLEEVE driver is Bill. These two short sequences were pieced together to make it seem they were the same moment, boat, and people. Additionally there are several other sequences in the movie with #90 and Sternwinder name. Those other sequences are also clearly of Bill driving. The whole movie is a compilation of sequences taken from many races/events and pieced together to make the whole movie. It is only very subtle differences that give evidence of the facts. I do not know who the SHORT SLEEVE driver is but I have to believe that it is either Odell or Mel. I think it is probably Mel in the Bahama 500. The other dilemma remaining is about the photo you have provided with Mona Lou name on the side as opposed to the stern. I think that is the Odell / Sam Griffith race (Palm Beach to Freeport and back). NOW I will review the "Mercury Film Archive" Vol 2 "The Bahama 500". WOW! You really have me intrigued about this whole thing. I feel like Sherlock Holmes trying to figure out who farted in church. - Steve

13. Collapse Details

OK Marco, I just watched the Mercury Classics 1968 Bahama 500 movie closely. No new clues there. Good clean clear video of Odell in#49 Maritime, Bill in #90 Sternwinder, and John Bakos in #80 Rhonda Lee. Also some good shots of Jim Tebo and Me in #202 Starr. That's enough for now. Tomorrow is all day with Iris and our 3 and 5 year old Grand Daughters. After that I will be more worn out than I ever was after a boat race. Sometime after the weekend I will try to analyze the phone recording with Odell. Eventually I will also call Johnny and Mel to get their remembrances of the Bertram chronicles. I hope this has all been helpful rather than too confusing. Good Night and Best Regards - Steve Sirois

14. Collapse Details
    Maelstrom
    I have a report stating that `Maelstrom` was painted yellow,Marco.

Good to see all this feedback coming through to sort the history out.I see the Marco detective agency has now gone International.Wonderful!

That 1968 Bahamas 500 film is typical,fudging the shots from different races.At least with those Cowes - Torquay films there is none of that.

15. Collapse Details
    Inspectors and Doctor
    Sherlock(Seeroy) and Clouseau (me) it seem evening yesterday were puttinges at the same time to analyze Run Sunward!
    About the long and short sleeves you are right.
    Those little second ones of an other contest had been inserted in the wrong context.
    But the short sleeves Bill had as demonstrate these frames taken in the first minutes of Run Sunward when the narrator said of Bill "smart and daring".
    The #90 Mona Lou is filmed in the context of the race Long Beach to San Francisco announced also from the narrator. It demonstrates the frame where the Mona Lou with turbines duelling with the single-engine Magnum of Aronow. Look the background and you will notice the coast like in the photo at page #75 of Searace that Crouse places taken during that contest long the northern Californian coasts.
    Now if it observes carefully the #90 Mona Lou at 17:15 and 18:15 you see the same coast. Therefore those #90 Mona Lou run the Long Beach to San Francisco race of October 21-22 1967. Who was aboard? Sure not Odell that was engaged to win on the Maritime with turbines.
    Maybe Riggs? It's possible since in that race with Odell wasn't Mel.Shortly after the race Odell is with one other co-driver that I have not recognized(see the frame attached below).
    Therefore it could not be the Gateway race that Odell said you yesterday because that contest of June 16 went from West Palm Beach to Grand Bahamas and the coast is not similar those sandy of Florida and the Bahamas. Unfortunately Searace does not explain with that boats ran Bill Sirois and Odell Lewis.Crouse only confused Odell with Merrik Lewis saying that Odell was in the cockpit of the new Thunderbird built(for Merrik) in Italy,Levi's design and that with Dick Genth, sank near the finish at Lucaya("Aboard was the "500" winner Lewis who,aside from having a distinct dislike of racing in the dark,couldn't swim!").
    Backing to the #90 Mona Lou that boat it had of the little details that shared with the Sternwinder (to see the frames below). See the sticker of the Crowell pumps(between the flag and the sticker of MerCruiser) on right side of the Sternwinder and absent in both the boats on their left side. The identical position of the compasses. And the written Mona Lou seems made hastily.
    However at this point task that a call to Mel Riggs could be useful.
    Now rest your mind and enjoy this week end with yours.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NoLongBeach-SFranc67s.jpg   BillSirois2.jpg  
    Last edited by Black Tornado; 01-09-2010 at 12:12 PM.

16. Collapse Details

Coasts comparison. Could it be the Long Beach-San Francisco race.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LongBeach-SFranc67.jpg   LongBeach-SFranc67g.jpg  

17. Collapse Details

Who is with Odell?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LongBeach-SFranc67v.jpg   LongBeach-SFranc67z.jpg  

18. Collapse Details

Comparison with the left sides of the #90 Sternwinder(first two frames) and the #90 Mona Lou.
    In the third frame look the co-driver with the white short sleeves he seem the same behind Bill in the boat in post #135-second frame(a simple coincidence?).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bill+Sternwinder.jpg   Bill+Sternwinder1.jpg   LongBeach-SFranc67o.jpg  

Last edited by Black Tornado; 01-09-2010 at 02:01 PM.

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by FLYING FISH View Post
    I have a report stating that `Maelstrom` was painted yellow,Marco.

Good to see all this feedback coming through to sort the history out.I see the Marco detective agency has now gone International.Wonderful!

That 1968 Bahamas 500 film is typical,fudging the shots from different races.At least with those Cowes - Torquay films there is none of that.
    'Well'! This was the other possibility for the color of the Maelstrom and naturally had to be the yellow!
    Run Sunward is truly a mix of contests. Who has made the montage has amused himself to follow the cinematographic rules!
    In the final phase when it is spoken about the European races(CT excluded) I have made great hard work to cut the mix between the Naples Trophy, Viareggio-Bastia and the Dauphin D' Or.
    However the Investigations Team it seems to have acquired a new member that for affinity of language and literary correctness will have to be entrusted to you,Doctor Watson.
    Don't worry Steve,me and Flying Fish we collaborate together and we joke to be Clouseau,little hasty and bungler and Doctor Watson,more riflexive and accurate.

20. Collapse Details

[QUOTE=seeroy;410787], The other dilemma remaining is about the photo you have provided with Mona Lou name on the side as opposed to the stern. I think that is the Odell / Sam Griffith race (Palm Beach to Freeport and back).

Here the complete photos. In the first case,the Yellow Tornado-Sternwinder probably spotted during the 1968 Miami-Nassau or tests before the race.
    In the second is Riggs duelling with Aronow in the Bahamas 500 of 1969.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails yellowtor1resizlr9.jpg   bahamas69.jpg