Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Needs a different angle in the front or maybe its just the shrink wrap .

2. Collapse Details

Must be the picture angle or shrink wrap. I built the canopy to look like this, the only big difference is the windshield angle. I lowered mine to a 25 degree for a smoother look.

This weekend I started the jig-saw puzzle of adding the balsa-core to the project. I think I spent more time thinking than doing physical work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CAD Drawing 3.jpg   Airlie Beach - blue.jpg  

3. Collapse Details

Well I started the worlds biggest jigsaw puzzle last week and now its finished!

I must have 8-10 hours in this part

I'll shim and glue it into it's final positions this weekend before I start laying the resin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Remove - 98.jpg   Remove - 99.jpg   Remove - 102.jpg  

Remove - 103.jpg  

4. Collapse Details

The straight line angles and Sharpe edges work great with the boats lines. The pictures don't really show the whole view and how the lines flow.

Overall I happy with the results just not the amount of time this project is taking working 3 hrs twice a week..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Remove - 105.jpg  

5. Collapse Details

very excellent, I appreciate your approach to design,good luck - Jeff
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

6. Collapse Details

This is a great thread and always look forward to updates. Just a question for you. Are you going to leave it closed canopy with lids or cut open the top to make it a windsheild?

7. Collapse Details

Right now the plan is to make a dual lid system. The first lid over the driver/throttle area will be a normal "smaller" one. The second lid over the back seats will be a little larger so it can be removed for pleasure boating.

Like a hard to convertible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Duel Lid 1.jpg   Duel Lid 2.jpg   Duel Lid 3.jpg  

Duel Lid 4.jpg  
    Last edited by 2TR; 10-01-2010 at 12:23 PM.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 2TR View Post
    Right now the plan is to make a dual lid system. The first lid over the driver/throttle area will be a normal "smaller" one. The second lid over the back seats will be a little larger so it can be removed for pleasure boating.

Like a hard to convertible.
    That will be a very nice setup!

9. Collapse Details

Rick, It looks great ! !

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by VICIOUS View Post
    Rick, It looks great ! !

11. Collapse Details

Charter Member, Competitor Cookee's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    we're currently building a 34' (38' overall) mono with a partial canopy for Endurance racing in the UK - we need to have a 1.3 metre square hole to exit out of to comply with the rules and it will look like this. We have made the plug and moulds and are going to join the hull and deck whilst all still in the moulds to give us a seamless boat with no rubrail - The leisure version will have a removable roof that will fit in the engine compartment and be used for rainy or cold days - it will be used in England after all!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P019_027.jpg   P019_026.jpg   P019_025.jpg  

P019_018.jpg  

12. Collapse Details

What an awesome thread (and project)!

13. Collapse Details

This weekend:

I used a hot glue gun and some "shims" to attach the balsa to the shrink wrap. This should allow for easy removal of the part when the glass work is finished.

We than mixed some resin and started applying it to the lid. The fist batch was mixed a little light and once it got tacky I applied another "hotter" batch. The resin flowed nice and filled most the smaller crack in the balsa.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Remove - 113.jpg  

14. Collapse Details

Next I used "gunk" to fill in the larger cracks and gaps in the balsa-core. I also used it to help even out the high's and lows.

I'll be using a professional at this point to do the finish body work so the part looks right. But no more updates for a few weeks.. I have to put the Sea Ray up for the winter and Gary and I need to get ready for the OPA World's race in Orange Beach..

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Remove - 109.jpg  

15. Collapse Details

Looks good.

16. Collapse Details

Next step was to skim coat and body work the balsa-core to a nice smooth surface. This will help keep any air voids from forming when we lay the first layer of cloth this week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Remove - 116.jpg   Remove - 117.jpg   Remove - 118.jpg  

17. Collapse Details

The balsa core is ready to have its first layer of cloth applied later this week..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Remove - 121.jpg   Remove - 122.jpg   Remove - 123.jpg  

18. Collapse Details

If you notice we never did any body work up front or near the side windows. I'm going to build up any low areas there with cloth & resin for a stronger finish because those area will have material (holes) cut for the windows.

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 2TR View Post
    If you notice we never did any body work up front or near the side windows. I'm going to build up any low areas there with cloth & resin for a stronger finish because those area will have material (holes) cut for the windows.
    You know what I noticed is that I never see you doing the dirty work. It's always Darryl

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo 214 View Post
    You know what I noticed is that I never see you doing the dirty work. It's always Darryl
    I'll sand and grind but when it comes to finish work its best to allow the guy that knows what to do work.