Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gerritm View Post
    Get used to it guys. Tax revenue is down, this is a way to bring in revenue. It is only going to get worse. Living here south of Houston in a small community, we call it running the gauntlet. There are 5 small communities with traffic cops lining the highway and back-roads. All they have to do is write tickets. The locals know about it, but their favorite targets are the truckers coming to the port. Constant harassment. They always have someone pulled over. They are getting so bad that the cops are following people into their subdivisions and checking if they make full stops @ stop signs. It is short of ridiculous, but it is the main source of revenue. I do have a Valentine One in all of our vehicles. Limit for drinks at dinner is 1 drink. They are blunt about it when they pull you over, they have a quota and need to fill it. There are very few warnings. I have never had a ticket in 40 years of driving (not saying I didn't deserve one) and I got a speeder and a failure to come to a complete stop @ a stop sign in my subdivision within 2 weeks of moving. Needless to say I have changed my driving habits. Same thing with my wife and son.

There is a dip in the rd on Old Katy rd that goes under a train bridge. The cops sit at the top and radar you coming down on the other side of the bridge. Work is right across the street and we counted almost 50 cars that got ticketed one day.
    SOS NINJA dancing on the boundaries of hell.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    No. They have "loss prevention" people who do that. They are hiding behind the aisles, mirrors, and cameras. They only call the cops after you have been detained.
    That was kinda my point, Cops dont prevent the crimes you mentioned they just clean up after. But they sure focus on preventing speeding these days.

Not really an issue to me but a cops job sure has changed from what it used to be
    No Beaks, No Pads, No Steps, No Bull

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Birdog View Post
    That was kinda my point, Cops dont prevent the crimes you mentioned they just clean up after. But they sure focus on preventing speeding these days.

Not really an issue to me but a cops job sure has changed from what it used to be
    Actually, I remember hearing that the Supreme Court ruled that it is an unreasonable expectation that law enforcement officers prevent crime. (ie: protect you during the commission of a crime against you) They ruled that law enforcement is not a preventative, but an investigative initiative.

Maybe speeding is one of the few things that they can prevent.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    Actually, I remember hearing that the Supreme Court ruled that it is an unreasonable expectation that law enforcement officers prevent crime. (ie: protect you during the commission of a crime against you) They ruled that law enforcement is not a preventative, but an investigative initiative.

Maybe speeding is one of the few things that they can prevent.
    I never heard that ruling....Proves the point about having firearms !
    No Beaks, No Pads, No Steps, No Bull

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Birdog View Post
    I never heard that ruling....Proves the point about having firearms !
    Eggzachary.

And in my county.... castle doctrine has been the rule of the day. There have been a half dozen of these defensive shootings in the last two months and they have all been cleared... even two guys shot in the back as they ran. Even when the defending homeowner had 200 pot plants. (He was charged for the pot, not for the killing if the intruder.)

6. Collapse Details

Here ya go, this explains it all. Get used to it.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/03/21...est=latestnews

7. Collapse Details

If you're driving 100 on an interstate, you should receive a ticket. There's no excuses.

But there are many situations that are unreasonable.

My kids went with some friends midnight skiing last winter. Started at 10, ended at 3AM. Didn't want them out driving on a Saturday night, so I took them. There's a road that cuts down off the divided highway to the resort. It's a rural area. Speed limit is 45. But, the road goes into a township and drops to 30. Now here it is, 2:30 AM on Saturday night. There are 50 bars within a 5 mile radius that just disgorged all of their die-hards out onto our roadways and there's a sheriff running radar on this little rural road. Do you thing there was any correlation about a slippely little speed drop and a ski resort full of kids closing shortly?

I was speeding. If I'd have fought the ticket, the judge would have still fined me. But wouldn't the public's interests been served better sitting by bars than by a speed trap?

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gerritm View Post
    Here ya go, this explains it all. Get used to it.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/03/21...est=latestnews
    That is a great article.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    If you're driving 100 on an interstate, you should receive a ticket. There's no excuses.

But there are many situations that are unreasonable.

My kids went with some friends midnight skiing last winter. Started at 10, ended at 3AM. Didn't want them out driving on a Saturday night, so I took them. There's a road that cuts down off the divided highway to the resort. It's a rural area. Speed limit is 45. But, the road goes into a township and drops to 30. Now here it is, 2:30 AM on Saturday night. There are 50 bars within a 5 mile radius that just disgorged all of their die-hards out onto our roadways and there's a sheriff running radar on this little rural road. Do you thing there was any correlation about a slippely little speed drop and a ski resort full of kids closing shortly?

I was speeding. If I'd have fought the ticket, the judge would have still fined me. But wouldn't the public's interests been served better sitting by bars than by a speed trap?
    The public's interests would have been better served if the officer were/was conducting a DUI/DWI but that takes alot of time: first there is the stop of the car-checking tags and license, field sobriety test, transport to police station, and the breath test at the police station, and all forms-reports. In the same amount of time he may write three to five speeding tickets (potentially), much easier to do, less headache, and easy money for the community (most people plead guilty). And not having to deal with drunks and their drunken personality(s).

When you do fight back-a speeding ticket, you may get a reduced fine, or your speed lowered which mean your point assessment may be lowered (In New Jersey 1-14 mph over the posted limit is a two point offence, 15-29 mph over is a four point offence, 30 mph and above is a five point offence). If you are charged with doing somewhere between 1-4 mph over the limit, I can see why a person woukld just pay the ticket and not fight it. Otherwise, if you can take the time to attend court do so, get a downgrade, or if it is a hefty fine or serious matter spend the $300+ for a lawyer (typical charge for representing a client charged with speeding). You will more than save that amount in the future (auto insurance) if you can reduce the potential points assessed.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by northernoffshore View Post
    No more dangerous than running that big motor in your chapperal. Florida was great before Charlie Crist(the gay gov) ruined it with the b.s. speeding laws and fines in search of revenue. Can't ride my gsxr without constantly searching for the cops.
    The Governor doesn't make laws... maybe a bit of understanding of the Government would help you.

As far as the ticket goes... you have to pay to play. If you don't want to pay for a ticket or the fines then don't speed. I'm not some stupid 'speed kills' person either. But speed differential is an issue. running well over 30 MPH faster than the surrounding cars that probably are not expecting it is not safe. you just don't know what the other guy is going to do.

11. Collapse Details

No kidding. I almost died last night. A moment of inattention at 70 and an old man on the interstate, in the dark, with a taillight out, at 40MPH. I can't believe I didn't roll the Ex.

12. Collapse Details

They are putting up cameras here. I think the funny thing is that they don't cost the town to do it !! A private company installs them , maintains them , mails you a ticket , and collects a commision !!!!! I wish I owned a few of them for gas money !!! It's staggering what revenue these things make.

Sorry Gino but can't offer any good advise here. I did at one time have 54 points so I have a bad track record as a kid.

13. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by VetteLT193 View Post
    The Governor doesn't make laws... maybe a bit of understanding of the Government would help you.

As far as the ticket goes... you have to pay to play. If you don't want to pay for a ticket or the fines then don't speed. I'm not some stupid 'speed kills' person either. But speed differential is an issue. running well over 30 MPH faster than the surrounding cars that probably are not expecting it is not safe. you just don't know what the other guy is going to do.
    I don't think either understand the law, that's why there is a class action suit against the excessive fines placed on motorcycles and not cars. Discriminatory practices signed into law by charlie, started by the rep. from ft. lauderdale. And your right I don't understand the goverment because 90% of their decisions don't make any sense.

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by VetteLT193 View Post

As my son found out the hard way in Feb. The result being the picture I posted earlier in the thread. He was lucky to escape with only 11 staples in his head and some soreness in his knee and shoulder. He has his day in court tomorrow.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jhenrie View Post
    They are putting up cameras here. I think the funny thing is that they don't cost the town to do it !! A private company installs them , maintains them , mails you a ticket , and collects a commision !!!!! I wish I owned a few of them for gas money !!! It's staggering what revenue these things make.

Sorry Gino but can't offer any good advise here. I did at one time have 54 points so I have a bad track record as a kid.
    I wish I had you as a client!!! (when you were a kid)