Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    whats it worth..............
    Some may have seen my post on the Excaliburs owners forum.
    http://seriousoffshore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348

I am trying to get this old barge in the water.
    one thing led to another and so on,just never the right touch I guess.
    But, now I just lost my job and what should I do,
    Should I keep it and just pay storage on her and hope someday I can finish her or sell her the way she is or part it out and trash the hull??????

I know to some of you just putting in motors is no big deal, it is a big deal to me as I have no place to do it at and hardly any cash.
    There is no way I can even afford to finish the motors,as I still need cams/lifters/rockers in both.(one motor had machine work done)
    One of the trannies need a rear bearing which I think I can do,
    Since I did not pull the motors out, I am a little uncertain on putting them back in.
    It just seems the crap doesn't stop, even if I can get the cabin completed and somewhat done, I cannot afford the upholstery shop.
    Some times I wonder what I was thinking taking on the project.
    I think just finding another job would help........
    My wife wants me to keep it, but as I said before no "saving" goes into it.
    no way on credit cards,I cannot dig a deeper hole....

So what I am asking, is it worth anything-the trailer-the trs drives-trannies
    or even the hull?
    I am not in it alot but,and I could keep it for awhile in storage as it is only $90 per month, It just seems like I am not getting anywhere and hate to just see it setting all the time.

Johnny

2. Collapse Details

First cash offer and it is sold.......the stress stops, the $90 a month stops and you can focus on more important things. 90 a month is over 1000 a year and with no cruising in sight you could buy a finished boat cheaper than finishing that one.

Good luck on the job search, hopefully you can find one closer to home......

3. Collapse Details

I would have to agree with Jupiter - CASH IS KING. Take your hit and mark it up as experiance. You'll joke about it in 10 years.

Best of luck... there's alot of people, dare I say, in the same boat as you.

Chad

4. Collapse Details

Sell it, take whatever cash you get and get a smaller useable boat, that you can actually get out on the water in. The 90 bucks and the stress isn't worth it, no matter what your vision is for the boat I'll bet the farm you are underbudgeted.....

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Seafordguy View Post
    I'll bet the farm you are underbudgeted.....
    So true....I don't think in the history of boating that anyone has ever come in under budget

For every boat there is a buyer, just need to find him (or her). With the added stress of looking for a new job and once you get one, having to devote your time and energy to that, I would say get what you can for it and walk.

As for what it is worth, not really sure. Maybe someone else can give a temp read on that....

6. Collapse Details

Thanks for the reply's..........

AS far as budget, no where near what I planned on spending.'
    I have put little $$$ as to what I planned.
    Its more of the time I did not have and the place I did not have to work on it.

I have it home right know and can only be here 48 hr or I get letter or fined (HO*******s)

I knew what I wanted and knew the cost, just not the time frame.
    I think that is what bothers me the most, is how loooooooooooong this is taking.
    And now with no job, how do I get the rest of the parts and stuff needed to finish her without $$$$$$.
    And again it just adds more time to sit.
    I can not afford a new boat like this even if I was working, so this was the reason for trying to keep her.
    I think it still will come down to me just giving up one day, before I sell it.
    untill then, it will be at my house as often as I can work on her.

I guess I am not ready to give up,I think I will try to sell my blowers and use some of the money for used parts.

Any one interested in 2 weiand 8-71 blower kits, never ran?

Johnny

7. Collapse Details

Johnny...I just sent you a PM about work. Hit me back and hopefully I can help.

8. Collapse Details

How long is the boat on the trailer? My building is only 50' deep. What year is it? Are those 454's? I might be interested. I am looking for another project, although not really one that big, but you never know.
    Last edited by Trim'd Up; 10-29-2009 at 04:35 PM.

9. Collapse Details

42' boat-trailer 48' or so. trs drives - borg warner trannies - 502's bored 20 over - exterior upholstery good shape. cabin stripped.

johnny

What part of IL are you at, I grew up in Mitchell, Granite City area

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 42JOHNNY View Post
    42' boat-trailer 48' or so. trs drives - borg warner trannies - 502's bored 20 over - exterior upholstery good shape. cabin stripped.

johnny

What part of IL are you at, I grew up in Mitchell, Granite City area
    I live between Collinsville and Troy. Not far at all from your hometown.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 42JOHNNY View Post
    I can not afford a new boat like this even if I was working, so this was the reason for trying to keep her.
    I think it still will come down to me just giving up one day, before I sell it.

Johnny
    The restoration is expensive sure but even running/maintaining that boat as a turn key piece is going to burn up a lot of time and money......

The restoration rate of return should be about $3 to $1 (every 3 bucks you put in you will get 1 back). Too many nice deals out there that are turn key to "invest" your time and money into this one. Whether you dump 40K in one shot or you dump in 10K a year for 4 years the money is still spent. The difference is you got to boat for 4 years on the turn key machine instead of sweat.

Sell the hull/trailer and that will put something in your pocket/stop the storage and keep the parts if you want another project in the future.

12. Collapse Details
    Sell now
    Registered
    Sell it now if any offers come your way. It will only hurt for a little while but after time you realize you did the right thing. Good Luck. Been there done that.

13. Collapse Details

You should listen to these guys! I will give you $1000 for it right now. It will only hurt for a little while.

14. Collapse Details

I'll give him $1200 he should keep it. Find a farmers field that will let you keep the boat there then cover, cover, cover, it. Some peoples idenity is with their ownership of things they really can't afford new but, they can fix an older model have a very nice boat and look better than a new on for some sweat equiety.

15. Collapse Details

Thanks for the reply's and info, still working on her and will keep posted.
    But if anyone kinda knew the value of selling whole or parted out, that would help.

johnny

16. Collapse Details

I don't have any pics but there was one of those here that had been totaly restored and I meen stem to stern ( the guy owens a large body shop) he redid everything and it turned out beautfiul and he had a Eagle trailer built for it.
    What a tank, would go through anything but never got better than 68mph out of it with some lightly built 502s.
    He got sick of the fuel cost's and the slow speeds and tried for 2 years to sell it without much luck and in the end it went for mid 30s and I am sure he had almost triple that into it and it was beautiful.
    I don't know what shape yours is in but that one was almost perfect and you see what it went for. Cut your losses and move on.

17. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If you don't ever plan on having the time to finish it. (And that is most likely because it's not your passion boat.) Sell it and buy something done to go boating with.

But, if the 42 Excalibur is your passion boat, take your time and finish it. No big deal. Taken care of, it's not gonna be worth any less than now most likely. They are heavy luxery sporty cruisers to me. I looked at them a bunch. Nice cabins and lines. Not so great performance.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

18. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    If you don't ever plan on having the time to finish it. (And that is most likely because it's not your passion boat.) Sell it and buy something done to go boating with.

But, if the 42 Excalibur is your passion boat, take your time and finish it. No big deal. Taken care of, it's not gonna be worth any less than now most likely. They are heavy luxery sporty cruisers to me. I looked at them a bunch. Nice cabins and lines. Not so great performance.
    I had a 38 excalibur with twin 700'ish and trs drives ,,sucker ran high 70's and performed real good !!!!!!

KEEP IT !!!!!!!

19. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL View Post
    I had a 38 excalibur with twin 700'ish and trs drives ,,sucker ran high 70's and performed real good !!!!!!

KEEP IT !!!!!!!
    The 38 was a lot smaller/lighter boat than the 42. The 42 was huge and heavy. But the cabin and headroom was incredible. The 38 has the same bottom as the 39 Chris.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

20. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    The 38 was a lot smaller/lighter boat than the 42. The 42 was huge and heavy. But the cabin and headroom was incredible. The 38 has the same bottom as the 39 Chris.
    The 38 actually has the bottom from the 38 Scarab ,,so does the 42 only stretched on the sides of the transom ,,,,same boat !!!
    the 38 was not light at all and had the same head room then the 42 also the deck and hatch looks the same , just did not had an arch .

U may know alot but not everything....LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 42 Wellcraft Excalibur.jpg