1. Collapse Details
    Reggie, King of Offshore???
    Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Exclamation
    http://www.seriousoffshore.com/reggi...h-a-new-title/

I'm sure you've seen the story in the above link. Just trying to get some opinions.

To me, The King of NASCAR will always be Richard Petty. The King of Pop, Michael Jackson, and the King of Offshore will always be Don Aronow.

Now I know the title of the book was the King of Thunderboat Row. But, Thunderboat Row was Offshore, period....

I was trying to do a little research, and came up with htis about Reggie....

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/compa...y-History.html

"The Challenges of the 1990s

During the early and mid-1990s Fountain Powerboats was confronted with a series of challenges that tested the commitment and talent of its owner. A recession affected the fortunes of the company adversely, with many of the customers to which Fountain would ordinarily sell his boats unable to pay his higher prices because of setbacks in their investment portfolios. Compounding the matter was the government's imposition of a ten percent luxury tax placed on all boats, airplanes, and cars with a sticker price of more than $100,000. Consequently, the demand for Fountain's speedboats and new line of fishing boats dropped precipitously. To keep his boats before the public eye, and to raise money to sustain his company through this difficult time, Fountain decided to return to the professional offshore racing circuit.

Fountain's return to the racing circuit was an enormous success. He designed, built, and drove his own boat, the only V-bottom boat in most of the offshore races he entered, and dominated the competition. In 1990, at the start of his return, Fountain overcame overwhelming odds and predictions to the contrary to beat the entire field of unusually designed catamarans operated both by professionals and celebrities. Fountain was particularly vindicated by his victory, since it was widely regarded that V-bottom boats were not competitive with catamarans in smooth water. In 1992 Fountain won the OPT World and National Championships in open V-bottom boats, as well as the APBA World Championship. From the time he returned to the end of 1992, Fountain remained undefeated in all major offshore racing competitions. "

1990 was the year that OPT split off by Carbonell from APBA, correct? I'm trying to remember. And did Reggie run OPT or APBA? Sorry I'm dense on this one....

Anyway, to me Don is the King and always will be.

What say you ?

By the way, shouldn't need this on SOS, but a friendly reminder we are all friends here and it's a discussion....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

2. Collapse Details

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	supe 1.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	72914Click image for larger version. 

Name:	supe 2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	72915

3. Collapse Details

Reggie's smartest move was putting together the finance program he did in the '90's.
    People could go to the boat show and buy a badazz "raceboat" for a monthly payment of $850-$1150 - but not build any equity in the boat, it was all an interest payment.
    It was all a finance/money making scheme (and I don't mean to discredit Reggie by using the term "scheme")
    IMHO, he was riding the financial "wave", and found a way to make his boats easily accessible to the general public.
    Very savvy business proposal at the time. People were living large, and banks would give you a line of credit to start an ant farm if you wanted.
    At the same time, the housing thing was going on, and the Gov't backed a plan to allow you to borrow 125% of the value of a home because "every family deserves home ownership". See where we're going??

Now that I've side-tracked a bit...

I will say Fountain builds a great boat. It's not my first choice, but that is solely a personal opinion At the same time, I would be proud to say I owned one if I did.

His marketing/financing put more of his boats out there than any other performance builder (I know, that's disputable, but for conversation purposes I'll ride with that statement).

Don is an Icon level that you can only achieve with sordid tales, and mystery.
    Built an incredible fleet of boats, and very innovative, but the mystery is what draws people.

What cracks me up now, is current day, people are getting internet executions for being involved in shady deals in the offshore industry.
    Yeah, that chit never happened "back in the day" when this sport was being "born".

Charlie's comment of a competitor walking down the dock with two drinks in his hand getting ready to fire-up and hit the course... Classic!
    Chit, I might want the two drinks to calm my nerves before going out and taking on the challenge these guys did.
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

4. Collapse Details

In my opinion, the "King" title is already taken (Don). There's still plenty of monikers left for Reggie to cloak himself with - " The Potentate of Powerboats" , The "President of Pads", " The Overlord of Offshore", " The Baron of Beaks" etc.. etc.... etc.........I really do enjoy the old boy and wish him well.
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

5. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    The best part of being King is you can proclaim anything you want.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    The best part of being King is you can proclaim anything you want.
    So then Jim you would be "The Monarch of Mercruiser"?

7. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    You're on a roll tonight....

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    You're on a roll tonight....
    or a "rubber biscuit"

Bah, bah, bah....
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by old377guy View Post
    So then Jim you would be "The Monarch of Mercruiser"?
    Yep, and the bling on my bilge rat thrown was created from the rainbow of colors and shine of oily bilge water.

10. Collapse Details

I thought this was Serious Offshore not Silly Offshore

11. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    I think we go both ways ......

Besides, what are friends for????

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    I think we go both ways ......

Besides, what are friends for????

Friends, sure.........going both ways, I'll pass...

13. Collapse Details

With all due respect to Mr. Fountain. I'll like to enter exhibit A in the case that "King" is already taken.

Sports Illustrated, November 1969.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...3046/index.htm
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

14. Collapse Details

Icon/Founding Member Top Banana's Avatar
    Rhode Island - Summers / Florida - Winters
    Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    With all due respect to Mr. Fountain. I'll like to enter exhibit A in the case that "King" is already taken.

Sports Illustrated, November 1969.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...3046/index.htm
    I agree....with all due respect, I like Reggie, he was a little after my time, when I was racing offshore he was still driving those little tunnel boats....which he did extremely well.

However, having been around the block a few times and seen them come and go, I think I will let the title remain where it has been .....since Sam Griffith died, that is.......with Don. He built them, he sold them, boats and companies, he raced them against everyone.... anywhere in the world...Malta, Cowes, Bahamas, USA, Mexico etc etc and he didn't win them all, but boy he sure tried. Nobody took that man for granted....if you lined up against him at the start, you were not going to have an easy win that day.

To the King, long may he reign.....Don Aronow.
    Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

15. Collapse Details

I read your story about Don on the content page. That should have been exhibit A.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

16. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    I was just reading an article in a magazine from 2007 where Don was called the Undisputed King of Offshore Racing. So, exhibit B I guess.....

17. Collapse Details

I like Fountains, Reggie as well, but under the circumstances Reggie is going to have to settle for Queen /President of offshore. Even in as much as there are past and present kings etc. I'm not comfortable with anyone other than Don in that seat,(thats just the way its gotta be) Reggie would probably agree.(atleast off the record) There must be articles out there wherein they've commented on each other. Que /Ratickle.

SAVE FOUNTAIN!!! AND BAJA!!!

18. Collapse Details

King has been taken. He can settle for scribe.....or court jester.
    Parabellum FJ²B

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Top Banana View Post
    He built them, he sold them, boats and companies, he raced them against everyone.... anywhere in the world...Malta, Cowes, Bahamas, USA, Mexico etc etc and he didn't win them all, but boy he sure tried. Nobody took that man for granted....if you lined up against him at the start, you were not going to have an easy win that day.
    With respect to Mr. Aronow, the same can be said of Buzzi.
    Last edited by Ben; 03-02-2012 at 01:20 PM.

20. Collapse Details

There can only be one King.
    Last edited by MOBILEMERCMAN; 03-02-2012 at 11:04 PM.